Shade Sails

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

Hi Chi,

Sorry to hear that you are moving. One thing that is stopping me even considering moving is the fact that I have put almost 3 years (32 months and counting) of my life into doing the pond and garden. I am hoping that it will be finished this year so definitely want to enjoy it for it while first.

If only ponds were transferable! I think I would buy yours as I want to rebuild the old pond to about 2,000 gallons to see if I can grow some fish on.

David.
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

Not so bad for me actually, I knew when I started this one that we would be selling within 5 years. It was simply a project to take my skills to another level and pass as much on as possible to others. Which is also why the pond is "average" size, the idea was to refine a pond of average proportions to as near perfect as possible. The trick being to use only technology, equipment and practices available and affordable (cost spread over time) to anyone. Hence the system had to allow for gradual improvement with as little waste equipment as possible. The pond had to be very easy to maintain with low ongoing costs in all departments, including treatments / medications. The only area where costs are a little higher than the average pond is the power for the 4 pumps, but that is peanuts compared to the money saved on treatments and additives when one gets the water to this level.

Hopefully keepers will learn from my efforts and I will not have wasted my time and a lot of money. Whilst my aim was to produce excelllence at an affordable cost, the processes of elimination involved in the experiment were very costly. I had to sell on at least as much equipment as I retained over 5 years, losing considerable amounts each time. If others reqad and follow my practices I will be rewarded by seeing healthy koi wherever I go.

I will not be having another pond when I move, so this was my last chance to perfect a system at the level I desired and pass on the knowledge required for emulation. I will be living between Spain, the Canaries and Sardinia, with probably 8 weeks per year in the UK, so will not have time to keep Koi.

Chi
Taggy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Taggy »

You lucky person,though im sure all work related!!!!

Graham
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

Good luck with the move Chi. Thanks for you updates on your various experiments.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Chi,

Well i for one hope you still pop in now and then when you move and i must admit i know its going to be hard for you but i am sure you will cope :D :wink:
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

The hardest part will be finding good homes for my koi, of the 12 two are chicken koi but 10 are high quality and several are good sizes. The two chicken koi will be given away but selling the others to a good home usually means a fair bit of travelling for buyer and Koi. I would consider myself lucky beyond belief to find a house buyer who was also an experienced koi keeper.

Chi
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Yes i think many ponds are demolished to help sell the house :shock:

I am sure with the quality water you have been keeping and the quality fish you have they will go to good homes and you can always advertise on the site and you may actually get someone you know to buy one...which means you may be able to get the odd picture on how its doing :D
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

Of course I shall offer the koi here, but I wish to hang on to them until the death. Not very sensible I know but watching the fabulous development in the new water is addictive, I want as much as I can get, only now am I seeing what I consider to be justifiable returns on my investment!

Chi
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Good luck to you as i am sure i would be doing the same thing :D
MOSSY
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by MOSSY »

does that mean you are going to have more or less time on your hands to write your book???

carl.
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

Ah ha, a memory man!

That was another reason for striving to complete the project, it's much more difficult to write convincingly about theory than fact.

I will have more time certainly, but I will not be retiring per se, rather semi retirement, so hopefully work will occupy around 10 hours per week or so.

Chi
MOSSY
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by MOSSY »

believe it or not i actually hhave a poor memory.

i have always read your comments with great interest and when you mentioned writing a book i thought it was a good idea. you certainly seem enthusiastic and intelligent enough to be capable of writing one.

hopefully you will keep chipping in with your experience to help others
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

I would love to see a book about the whole experiment and all your findings.

It is clear from the writing on here that you have really worked to make the best possible environment for your koi. That backed up by the scientific approach you have should make good reading. Keep us informed about your progress.
Guy P
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Guy P »

chita wrote:A novel solution to the problem, and certainly very sensible if you're thinking of moving. The koi will love you for getting the PH down from 9!
Chi
Hi sorry not been around for a couple of weeks as sunny Cornwall was calling me.

Chi, PH is now 8 you will be glad to hear. Well worth the time and effort cutting that little bit more sunlight out of the day.

Sorry to hear you are moving and will not be ponding it any more, what a shame.
Gordo
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

shade and PH

Post by Gordo »

pardon the naive question. but what is the relationship between shade and lower PH. my pond is in sun and i do get high 8's ... water is reasonably hard from the start but did not know that the sun caused an issue aside from weeds ( which i don't have)