THROUGH THE WINDOW

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

THROUGH THE WINDOW

Post by kimr »

Hi
I have taken a couple of photo's of the koi through the window but they decided not to sit still, so here are 2 of the best so far, I will try and get some more a.s.ap
This is one of the very first koi I ever bought, it cost me £3.95 from pet's at home, the orange has appeared over the year's and I have been told it is down to my hard water that cause's it.
[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/kimR/25129_CREAM.jpg[/img]
This is my new Kohaku bought at Cuttlebrook a couple of week's ago, I am so sorry it isn't a brilliant photo but it give's you an idea of what they look like through the window.
[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/kimR/25131_NEW_KOHAKU.jpg[/img]
The window measure's 3ft long by 2ft high and I am so glad I have it in my pond. The koi tend to only be by it when I am out there with them, but when inside and looking out you do occasionally see them swim past it. I am sure it has helped to tame them because since going in last monday some that I thought would never hand feed are doing so, and not only that they are sucking my finger or my hand when my hand is in the water, I have been putting my finger on the glass and they have been trying to suck it so I really do think it is down to the window. I will get some better photo's soon, that is as long as they will stay still long enough for me. :lol:
Al
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Al »

Ah...the window shot, show off.... :lol:

ive never had a window before in a pond :cry: , looking forward to it tho.... :D

my mate Dave5 has one in his, and as soon as you go near, they all appear, i do think its helps them get used to you if they can see whats going on....?
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

It is brilliant Al, the hardest part is getting them to pose :lol: As soon as they see the camera they're off. I was so looking forward to the pond being built and although a window had been thought of it was decided against, but then my pond builder had the idea and thank god he did, I do not know what I would do with out it now, it is so brilliant watching them watching you, and when they first see the window they are so funny, if you have a video get it ready to film when they first go in you will be glad you did, it was like they were playing peek-a-boo at first, and they come from all dirrection's, so make sure you have plenty of time to spend with them when they first go in. I know you will love your window as much as I love mine :D
Al
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Al »

sound great fun.... :lol: im glad your enjoying things.... :wink:
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Best thing that has ever happened to me Al, this pond is a dream come true and more, I know it took a long time to get there but it was worth every single drop of blood sweat and tear's. Craig said the look on my face watching the koi through the window was worth everything and he hasn't seen me look so happy for such a long time and the maintainance is a dream, I could go on and on for hour's, but for fear of boring you I will stop now :D
cupid koi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by cupid koi »

I work in construction, the guy i work with is also a fish/koi keeper.
We work 5/6 days aweek,what do we talk 6/7 hrs a day? koi,fish,filters media,pipework,pumps,ect ect.
The point i am trying to make is : my friend learns from me,i learn from him,we all learn from you ,you learn from us,so on and so on.

I have made lots of mistakes and spent a lot of money bringing myself into the 21st centry of fish keeping,i will go on LEARNING every day as long as possable.
I often think that i must be boring the pants of people,but its the ONLY way to learn/findout.
So i say to you kim that you NEVER could be BORING.

Questions/pictures/queries BRING THEM ON
This is the place to do that.

all the best mick
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Mick,

You are so right, we all learn from each other.

The key thing is to experiment, share the experience, get feedback, move on.

No matter how long we've been Koi keeping, there's always something to learn.

Kim - great pictures, give us some more!
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Great pics Kim, i am planning to have one in mine if i ever get it built and if it ever stops raining... :lol:
parastalker
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by parastalker »

Rain!? I've started taking my pergola down and am constructing an ark.

Sie
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Thank's guy's for the kind word's, I am still so overwhelmed with the pond and the window it is a wonder to me everytime I look at it, or go out to it. As soon as the weather allow's I am hoping to get a group shot of all the koi waving and saying "Thank you Uncle Bob" because you know how they talk to me and tell me what they want :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: No honest as soon as the weather improve's I will get some better photo's, so watch this space :D
Jason if you do go for the window you will not regret it, and the way Bob did mine looked so easy, except for when he had to sort the fibreglass out with the grinder :? But believe me you will not regret it. That piece of glass only cost me £20 and to be honest if it had cost £200 it would of been worth every penny
Thank you again for the kind word's
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

Very nice Kim, always loved windows in ponds. Mine is 2m by 1m so it is wonderful to keep an eye out for anything on the koi :D

Talking about weather and pergola!! I put the polycarb roof on the pergola over the weekend. It was just a temporary job with a few 4.2m 6 by 2 on top to hold it down until the weather changes and I can fix it down permanently. I was on the phone to work and heard this loud bang. Didn't think anything about it. 10 minutes later I went downstairs to have a drink and looked out of the conservatory window to find half of the roof in the garden. Well in my and my next door neighbours (note the plural!!) :shock: At the bottom of the picture is a 4.5 m plank of wood that was sitting on top of the polycarbonate right at the back of the garden. So it had travel something like 50 feet to its new position. Another plank of 4.2m 6by2 just missed next door's green house. Thank God the wind was blowing the right way, had it gone the other way then God knows what could have happen. I definitely would not want to be at the receiving end of a 50lb lump of wood flying through the air! :shock: :shock:

I managed to get all the bits together and was putting the drill bit into the drill when it started to rain and the wind picked up again. You guessed it, the sheet of polycarb came off again. Just 2 more minutes I would have bolted the wood down!!!! :( Had to do it all again. How embarrassing to go knocking on your neighbour's door a second time!! Anyway it is all bolted and clamped down now and hopefully it will survive this weather.

[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/dho/25187_IMG_10071.JPG[/img]
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi David
This weather really has a lot to answer for,
all we want to do is enjoy our pond's. I am
glad everything is sorted now and you can enjoy
your pond even in the rain :lol:
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

Hi Kim,

It is far from sorted but at least it is on and not dangerous to nearby property or passersby. :oops:

I just wanted to cover it up so that when we get some decent weather I can paint the pergola, instead of having to wait 3 to 4 days for it the woodwork to dry up! Once it is all painted the the roof will get fixed properly and then onto the other things that needs doing!!

Will get a picture of the koi through the window when I have a bit of time. I think that is the best decision I made regarding the pond.

David.
Taggy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Taggy »

I agree you cant beat a pond window,best thing i did apart from build the pond (Sorry Bob Did) Though good old Jules for providing drawing of construction of widow and fame.Where would we be without these chap's who are so helpfull & clever!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple of mine through the window.

Graham

[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/Taggy/25189_w ... resize.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/Taggy/25191_w ... resize.jpg[/img]
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

definitely looking good Graham! :D