Ted's Pond upgrade

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Ted,

Glad to see you back on track mate and its coming along a treat well done.

Have you thought about putting foam in instead of render great for insulation and easy to do and easy to glass over :?:
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

What sort of cost is the foam Gazza and who supplies it..?
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

I am not 100% sure but i am sure we can find out,its like the kingspan stuff and it insulates pond very well and then they just glass straight over the top...no rendering needed!!

Kim R had some so perhaps she can help....KIm....Kim
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

I know its easy to fit, i i'm right its just nailed to the blocks, i was thinking of using it myself...
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

I have thought about it and swung from that to render more times than I can count. The actual type of insulation would have to come back to the fibreglass. There are insulation boards that are put into the bottom of floor slabs so they have good compressive strength but will the fibreglass adhere properly?

Can anyone sway me?
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Ted,

There are lots of ponds out there like this and they all seem to be OK
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

There is a pond build thread on Maurice's site at the minute and he has added a photo today with the insulation fitted...saves a bit on the heating bill as well..
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Sorry people for taking so long to reply. The foam that was used in y pond was supplied by Polyfibre, they have a web site with all the isze's available and the price's so you can work out roughly how much it will cost. You don't need to rneder and fibreglass goes straight onto it. It is easy to fit, and you can use car body filler to stick it on with. My pond has 1/2" foam all around, but it should of had 1" round the wall's and 1/2" on the bottom.

With the water line Ted, if the water is still seeping in, you will have to dig a sump hole and pump the water out, unfortunatly for me we didn't realise we had water coming in until the of the block's were being laid, but if you dont get it dry you can not finreglass, sorry to be bearer of bad new's, but having been there I would hate for thing's to go from bad to worse for you as it did for me.

Well done for catching up so well and I wish all the luck in the world with finishing your pond, looking forward to more photo's of the progress.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the heads up and i think this link may help the guys:

http://www.polyfibre.co.uk/product.asp
dave a
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Fitting Foam

Post by dave a »

Dont fix foam with car body filler it leaves voids behind, just make sure blockwork walls have no nots on them and fix foam with masonary nails into jmortar joints, when pond is filled foam will sit back tight to wall with no pressure points at all.

Kingspan foam works as well and is cheaper !!!!!

When fitting take your time and make sure all joints are flush and level otherwise when glassed it looks a "pigs ear" with lumps and ridges all over the place.
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

Dave,

Good to hear that Kingspan will work as I was thinking of using it in my next pond. One question though with Kingspan do you need to remove the foil backing or can you just leave it as they are?

Thanks,

David.
dave a
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Kingspan

Post by dave a »

Hi Dave

Leave the foil on apart from where you need to sand it ie at top of walls just trim foil back with a stanly knife cut about an 1 away from where you want to sand. it sands well then without ripping the foil to bits.
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

Dave, thanks for the tip.
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

Am I correct in assuming that the foil backing goes against the wall and the foam face gets glassed? I might put some along my external walls and render up to it.

Anyone mixed foam and render?
dave a
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

foam

Post by dave a »

Foil side can be glassed on to no problem so which ever way round you want to fit it is fine for glassing on