Ted's Pond upgrade

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

I am glad Dave has found another company where you can get foam from, I also know there is a place near me that make's insulation, and they assured us that it would be fine for pond's and it would work well, but the fibreglasser wouldn't have it, I had to have Polyfibre foam. I think Dave mean's your pond will end up looking like this
[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/kimR/24491_S_CAMERA_019.jpg[/img]
you can see where foam sheet's are and the fibreglass is not smooth at all, it hasn't got sharp bit's, they were all rubbed down, but the lump's and ridge's will collect god know's what over time.
Good luck with the rest of the build Ted.
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

Thanks for the pic Kim. I hope to get a better finish than that but at the end of the day it will have a coating of algae and is under the water. Are we being too perfectionist?
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi Ted
No I don't think we are, we want the very best we can get for our koi, I won my fibreglassing in a comp, and I had vision's of a beautiful smooth finish, when I saw it for it's glory I cried my eye's out. I will say if I had been paying for it I would not of paid a penny. Maybe you are right I just wanted everything as perfect as I could get it :cry:
dave a
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Fibreglass finish

Post by dave a »

Ted
we should have the best finish on our ponds that is possible whether covered with algae or not, it takes no longer to do the job correctly then it does to bodge it and run,

Every pond I glass I treat as a show pond, I dont rush and take pride in my work, but that is beacause I keep koi myself and understand what is required. I refused to glass one earlier this year as the foam had been fitted badly and would have had lumps and ridges all over it, when the guy had removed and refited the foam correctly, as detailed by the inventor of foam lining Mr M Cox of Koi UK I then went and glassed it, the client saw what a difference to the finish it made and thanked me.

Kim
I am so sorry you got the rough end of the stick as you say good job it was free, but on the bright side it holds water and you pond is now running.

Bit of water never stopped me glassing ways and means of dealing with it no problem.
MOSSY
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by MOSSY »

Hi Kim,

was it the glassing or was it the way the foam had been fitted? or did the glasser do both?

i too foamed my pond. fairly expensive but not much more than i would probably have had to pay someone for rendering and the benefits are greater. i did spend some time trying to make the foam joints as seemless as possible. even using body filler to do this. it still wasnt perfect but in all honesty, not it is full of water and algae nothing is visible anyway.

wish i knew about Kingspan, proabably cheaper that the polyfibre stuff. the lad who glassed my pond said it was much easier than glassing onto render.
i thought you were happy with your job?

carl.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

So hows the pond coming along Ted :?: :?:
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

I think I will have a mix of insulation board on the above ground exposed sides with render on the others. Probably a first but there you go.
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi Carl
Please don't get me wrong I am chuffed to bit's with pond, the koi are happy and growing, but I would hate for anyone to pay a lot of money to end up with a finish like mine, but like everyone say's when the water is in you don't see it :D
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Come on Ted hows the pond build going :?: :?: :?:
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

You must have read my mind Gazza. I was thinking that you lot must think I am sitting here with my feet up but no, I am progressing but haven't had much time for pics and posting them here. But tonight it is time for an update.

First of all I needed to do something with all those shelves that I ended up with i.e. make sure they are not flat enough for Roz to put some plant pots on.
[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/fatherted/278 ... 009001.jpg[/img]

Then onto the walls. Rendering wasn't as difficult as I had expected and the finish isn't bad for a first timer.
[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/fatherted/278 ... 040001.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/fatherted/278 ... 043001.jpg[/img]

The floor was a bit harder as it is really hard to judge what was flat.
[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/fatherted/278 ... 052001.jpg[/img]

I have also sorted out the main pipe run and done a nice lid for the filter to stop the K1 spray going all over the bottom of the timber lid.
[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/fatherted/278 ... 047001.jpg[/img]

And I have also been experimenting with air pipe, mixing hose and speedfit to run past the filter bays with valves to regulate the flow.
[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/fatherted/278 ... 049001.jpg[/img]

So now I have just got to be patient and wait for the glassing to get done. Rushed out and shoved up the best shelter I could manage to keep things dry tonight.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Great news Ted and that is looking very nice and i am sure will be great once filled with water...when is it being glassed :?: :?:
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

Spoke to Dave A tonight and he has got me down for the 26th although I have said I will fit in with any cancellations he might get.
rich koi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by rich koi »

Hi Ted
I see you`ve been busy since last being in touch. You have done a great job so far, bet you cant wait to get it finished and get the fish into thier new home.
:D :D
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Well done Ted, looks good mate.... :wink:
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

Done my copings and filter lid extension this weekend. I am getting excited now. :)