Protein Extractor

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Taggy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Protein Extractor

Post by Taggy »

hi

I have a protein extractor like in the picture,does anyone use there at all.Is there anyone who would like to explain what they actually do????

Graham

[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/Taggy/19689_extractor2-sm.jpg[/img]
dannyboy
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by dannyboy »

Hi,
I reckon that they extract protein :lol: :roll:

They work on a process of mixing air bubbles with the flowing water within the uint , the proteins then stick to these bubbles which then form a froth which over flow into waste section of unit and then burst giving you that bucket of dirty yellow protein rich water(great for garden) :wink:

Well that how i see it anyway,hope it was of some help :D

CHEERS DAN
sweeper driver
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by sweeper driver »

Presuming a protein extractor is the same as a protein skimmer, then Dan is 1005 correct. Take a sniff at www.tunze.com there are some detailed diagrams of protein skimmers on there.

Rich
Rhodius
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Rhodius »

Aren't the tunze ones marine and not freshwater?

Anyhow yes Graham they extract DOC (Dissolved Organic Compounds) from the water. This is done by frantically aerating it via venturi or an airpump, passing this mixture through a column or doughut of water and letting the resulting foam that builds up, out of the top. Seriously reduces the biological load on your filter, stops the pond turning yellow, reduces algal growth somewhat and stops your waterfall looking like a bubble bath. In fact that is the best sign to show you you need one of these... foamy waterfalls.

You may want to check up the NT labs one too, depending on your flow rate. I have both and I have to say the NT labs one is way, way more efficient. Here is a pic of mine on my holding tank. There is a constant solid "tube" of dry foam coming out the side. But then again I do like to treat my Koi :)

If you really want one Graham, I'll sell you mine for 80 quid - still has it's original box. Only selling because I'm going to use the NT labs exclusively. But then again, this unit is 250 quid and only does 700 gph so I'm going to have a go at making my own and paralleling them...

[img]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f269/Rhodius2/skimmer.jpg[/img]
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Graham if you look on the out let of your trickle tower there is a Tee. This acts as a protein skimmer.

Jules
Taggy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Taggy »

Looks like i may have one for sale in the future then!!!!!!

Graham
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

what a tower? :lol:

Jules
Taggy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Taggy »

No like the picture up top on origonal post,

Graham
Phil
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Protein skimmer

Post by Phil »

I have one (the cloverleaf protein extractor) and it hasn't achieved anything worth talking about yet.
Complete waste of money
acart8426
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Protein Skimmer

Post by acart8426 »

Phil I have to agree , got one myself worst bit of kit I ever bought . Looking into modifying mine this year . What sort of problems did you have with the unit ? I found the unit didnt produce enough bubbles , I reverted to using the diy pipe and two airstones version as shown on a few threads in the past , cost about £15 and far more efficient than the Cloverleaf version .

Regards

Andrew
Phil
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Phil »

Hi Andrew,
Have had it running nearly 12 months and have not seen any collection of foam or tinged water....
Even had extra air on the air control line but nothing collected in the centre column only if u turn the water level up it just overspills out the top in o the bowl. Could not find any happy medium.