Small Koi House

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

andyb
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by andyb »

Hi folks, quick run down on my koi house.

1st system

Aquamax 15000, straight from bottom drain to top of shower, total head around 2m, so we are probably looking at a flow rate of around 2000 gall a hr.

Around 30 Kilo of BHM in shower.

Air via Hi-blow 50, which is pushing about 20 lt through a 200mm plate.

So loads of flow, loads of air, it like a bit of a boiling caldron, but the fish seem to love it.

The only thing detrimental that’s happen, is that 2 of the babies that I have had growing on, have lost all their beni. ( One Sanke One Gin Rin Kohaku )

I don't know if this is down to the high flow rates or the genetics of the fish, I suppose time will tell, we will see how the others get on.

System 2 comprises of 4 bay tank brushes K1 static, K1 moving and Jap Mat, pump via 2000 gall sequence.

Home made skimmer, via aquamax 3500 through a central heating header tank, full of static K 1 ( comes in handy being a plumber )

Independently heated, via 2 heat exchangers.

Controlled by 2 separate digi-stats and probs.

There are still a few jobs to do and a number of improvements to make.

I am thinking of changing all the returns to deep water and create a small stream -flow, just to make further comparisons, but we will see.

Also thinking of fitting a U V again to see if a U V makes any difference.

Anyway best go

Regards

Andy
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi Andy
Looking good to me. I do like the idea of 2 tanks, is this 1 for q/t and one for growing on? I bet you will be spending loads of time in there in the winter, and it will be all cosy and warm for you and your babies.
Brilliant job, and I do like the laminate on the walls great idea :D
andyb
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by andyb »

Hi Kim

Whilst they are both growing on tanks at the moment, can easily change the one with the 4 bay, to a quarantine.

Make sense to keep a few fish in there, to get the filter up and running, ( using it at the moment to house the fish that I will be moving on, well the smallish ones anyway )

Once the south east show is over, I will make proper plains for the rest of the year with regards to what is being grown on, once I make me mind up, that will be it till next spring, regarding nets in and out, just to keep the disturbance down to a minimum.

Bye for now

Regards

Andy
Taggy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Taggy »

Oh Mate,(Andy)

All i will say is one day if i can get something half as good as yours i would be well pleased :D

Here's to those lucky numbers tonight.

Graham