Chi hows the UV & ORP

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

Gazza, just to update you on the UV thing.

I left mine on when you turned yours back off due to the appearance or increase of BW, which I assume was due to the elimination of single cell algae. Despite not previously being able to see any algae I'm convinced there was a low level which the UV killed off, no competition = more BW!

I added the GAC as you know, but I also took the TDS down to 80 and kept it there. Normally I let TDS run between 80 and 110, with 80 being only around 25% of the time. On this occasion I kept it between 80 and 90 for the last couple of weeks, ORP back to 395 avg and BW GONE.

I had the damn stuff in every filter last week, it was simply falling apart, I had to clear baskets etc daily and used double the cartridges in the skimmer filter. It's slowing down now as there's scarcely any BW remaining, one really has to search to find a strand in the pond.

This is with sunlight increasing daily, so looks promising longer term. I think that with low TDS and very high ORP I have the BW beaten.

More importantly though this is I hope the final step in my quest to abolish ill health of any kind in my Koi, from parasites to bacterial infections and the ulcerous results. With the added benefit of rapid healing from self inflicted woulds etc. and optimum growth rates.

I want to keep the UV on as I think the 55w is enough to reduce bacteria count. I know that some will say this also reduces beneficial bacteria but think about it. With high ORP / REDOX the unwanted bacteria are getting nuked constantly through the reduction processes. The water is so clean that unwanted bacteria are kept to a minimum, the UV will hopefully add to that reduction. So, who needs friendly bacteria other than the nitrifiers? With much trial and error over time I have created 5 star hospitality suites (filters) for these so they won't be leaving those! The few which do transfer to the water column and into the UV will not be missed.

Whilst it may be a cliche it really is all about balance, albeit to a refined degree if you want a self help pond for your koi. I would stress though that with the correct advice prior to setting up a pond such a system need not cost a Kings (or even a Prince's) ransome.

Time will be the final test of my theories, but the improvements over the last year since it all started to come together have been nothing short of spectacular. I wish I could have implemented all the elements of my system design at a stroke! Unfortunately however, had I done so I would not have been able to "prove" each element individually, nor analyse it's synergies or specific contribution to the overall system. Patience on this occasion has for me paid large dividends, and my sister (and a few friends) have inherited a fair amount of paraphenalia along the way, as I discarded the items which did not possess the sought after synergies.

I am totally convinced there is a "system" which is optimum for the purpose, I am equally convinced I have evolved same. I shall away now to ready myself for Sunday dinner and a bottle of fine wine. (well, Hock actually!)

Chi
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Chi,

Yes i think you are spot on as the UV kills the single cell and as you say then there is no competition for the BW so off she goes big style!!!!!!

Well i have a pergola now which will have a cover on next week so that should help some 8)
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

You will find that with proper utilisation the Pergola will improve your control of the environment Gazza. I would recommend you underdraw the roof fabric with black polythene or polycarb to improve advantages.

As I've said before, the next step is to take control of the sunlight entering from the sides, this I do with wooden blinds.

I am looking forward to a few more keepers following "the route", that we may ultimately compare notes on a wider scale. This would increase the weight of evidence and hopefully encourage still more to follow.

keep us informed of any improvements Gazza, however small they are all significant in the greater scheme of things.

Chi
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

Well, could this be my final post on the BW aspect as it relates IMHO to ORP? (I know, you hope so!)

I am simply astonished at events over the last week or two, for the first time in years my BW is totally absolutely vanquished. Not a single solitary strand remains, even using one of those multi million candle power torches to aid the search I found not a morsel. Additionally the fine baize carpet which has adorned the bottom and sides for years has broken down and is now virtually gone. What very little remains is going black and dissappearing also, at this rate it will be totally gone in days.

For clarification, NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING except a mix of between 4 and 5 to 1 RO & mains water has gone into the pond for some months now. The only other thing added has been food, no treatments, no additives, no anything. Well, I did add a little (1kg) of GAC to one of my filters for DOC reduction but cannot see how so little would tip the balance more than a tiny bit.

The only real change during this year so far has been the softer (low TDS) water and prolonged ORP of 390 avg. The only hiccup was when a few weeks ago I turned on my UV for the first time in a couple of years. This was followed by a 25% (at least) increase in BW growth, I assumed due to less competition from other algae.

I persevered and lowered the TDS from it's usual 100 avg to 80 avg, ORP rose simultaneously to between 395 and 400, followed in days by the total decimation of BW.

Unfortunately I cannot sell bottles of this water due to delivery costs!

Current PH is 7.2 with a 24 hour variation of just 0.1 max.

Temp is 17c and fish are fed 3 to 4 times daily, they are fighting for the pellets, I think they are missing the BW which was used to supplement their diet. I'm sure they would take at least another feed if offered.

I think it will be nice when we have enough keepers reaching my current readings to provide corroboration for my findings / results. To that end I will do whatever possible advice wise to assist.

Chi
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Chi,

Give me a chance i am trying to play catch up lol but had a couple of cock-ups....but i will try me hardest to see if it works :D
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

I know you are achieving similar figures Gazza, but you must IMHO maintain them for a couple of months for it to kick in, preferably over 390. You can't starve to death in a day, it takes time to die that way, which applies equally to all life forms.

Forgot to mention, I've kept the UV on throughout since I advised you I had switched it on. Lowering the TDS still further from where it had been for a couple of months, and the subsequent rise in ORP seemed to compensate and complete the cycle. Despite the UV or because of it??? Or was that just the last little nudge, I think there's a high probability. As I stated previously I expect the ORP to climb slightly over 400 when I remove the cover. This because it sank several points after fitting the cover, but we'll see in a week or two.

Chi