PP + HP how many times

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Billy,

looks like the :( times could be gone billy and a matter of time before :D days are here again :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
weldec
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by weldec »

Hi Gazza :lol:,

Yep had a good look at them on my return from work and the were jumping out the water for some food :lol: my big Sanke took half handfull of pellets straight from the hand. Gazza scope arrived today ordered some glass slips and cover slips from Koi kit, so I'm nearly a proper keeper know :wink: . just need to get on Ducans seminar and we will be :lol: :lol: .

Thanks again Gazza for your input, I owe you a pint.
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

I'm impressed by the use of icons in your previous post Billy, that showed real imagination! - and I am not an icon fan!!

Sounds good Billy, you may have had enough organics in there to eat some of that P.P.

Chi
weldec
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by weldec »

Hi Chita,

It's nice to be Iconic now and again, and will also watch the dosage rates next time.

Thanks again Chita for your valuable input.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Billy Boy,

Glad its all settling down have you a copy of Dunc's book yet as he does a good part on dosing rates and how to mix them :?: :?:
weldec
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by weldec »

Hi Gazza,

I'am the proud owner of Dunc's Bible. I wil be ordering some PP from him if its the proper stuff thanks for that Gazza, I really did not knoe there were different strengths now I'm a MUPPET :oops: .

Thanks again Gazza
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Great stuff Billy there is not many days that go buy that i don't have a look in the book :D

Don't worry Billy we can be Muppet's together as i am lonely on me own :mrgreen:
weldec
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by weldec »

Hi Jane,

Today I purchased the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals NO2 & NH3/NH4 test kits readings were:

NO2 , very light tinge of purple so bordering on 0.25.

NH3/NH4 0.25.

You say these kits are a good match to the Hanna kits how accurate are they really.

Anyone else use these test kits.
Dandj
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Dandj »

Hi,
I said the Kusuri were really accurate, annoyingly so! The API are accurate enough, you can get zero with API when a Kusuri will stay 0.1 mg/l... so IMHO API are quite accurate enough you still have a reading so the filters are not yet recovered from the nuking they have had from the PP, enough even to make the koi flash a bit. Should improve to no colour change at all, when it does splash out on a Kusuri kit and you will still find a reading of 0.1.
Just for interest is your Tetra kit now showing a zero? My money says it will.
Someone tested the Kusuri reading of 0.1 and tested with a Hanna meter it showed 0.04....so if you get zero with a Kusuri kit = excellent filtration or hungry koi that have not been fed for a day or so with good filtration.
Did you fork out the other fiver for the KH and Gh kit too?
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

I have to agree with Jane, I switched to Kusuri around 3 years ago, and discovered my water was not as perfect as I had thought! It took another year almost to remove the last trace of Nitrite reading on the kusuri kit. I can now leave the sample overnight with no discernable reading.

The API kit's are for me next best though. (de ja vue?)

Chi
weldec
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by weldec »

Hi Jane,

We have a Pets at Home store locally so called in today but they did not have KH GH. Will test with the Tetra kit tomorrow and do a comparison (Tetra kit only a month old).

Hi Chita,

Will try the Kusuri kits once I polish these two off.
weldec
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

PP strenghts

Post by weldec »

Hi Jane / Gazza / Chita,

Just to get back to what was said about the PP from chemists is a little inferior.

Well as stated my dosage rates were 18 grms for 2,000 gallons, but it was mentioned that my dosage rates should have been around 13grms. So the obvious question is was my dosage rate at 18grms of inferior PP somewhat equivalent to 13 grms of the pucker stuff.

Now for the Muppet bit.
What actually happens to the crystals to make it less effective are they gound down more, surely there should be some sort of indication as to the strength of each container or maybe I have missed it.

Thanks in advance.
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

Bit like Gold really, 9ct, 18ct and 24ct, it's a purity thing.

Chi
weldec
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by weldec »

Wish gold was as cheap.

So Chita,

Do you think :idea: that my dosage rate with the inferior PP was equivalent.
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

This is a real possibility, let's hope so, but I do wish to goodness everyone using P.P would get an ORP / REDOX meter, I might then get an extra hour's sleep each night!

I assume no adverse indications so far, so aside from possible gill damage which can take months to show all seems well. Gill damage will not show in cooler water as quickly, so watch them as the water warms up. Though to be fair I think the cheaper P.P factor is on your side, it can be 30 to 40% less potent than say the Kusuri product or Duncan's. Anyway there's absolutely nothing one can do to reverse the situation, or any damage there may be. You can usually see some slowing of activity and a little isolationary behaviour in affected Koi.

Chi