Skimmer filtration?

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Al
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Skimmer filtration?

Post by Al »

Hi all,

Seeing as the pond build is in full swing now, i need some ideas on what to do with my skimmer water.

There will be 2 skimmers, both fed off separate pumps and returned thro a -------- (please fill in the gap!!). Im thinking either sieve, static K1 or a bakki shower.

The querry with a shower is, will it still perform as an addition to filtration, or are these to be used as sole filtration only?

The K1 would be ok, although it would require maintanace...as would the sieve...Mmmm... :?

Any other ideas/options??
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Al,

How about a TT will it be on view or hidden???

I have a TT with three boxes of BHM in it which works great,is it additonal...well my filtration i have can handle my pond no problem but the BHM is great stuff and why have a skimmer circuit with nothing on it i also use this a the UV line.

Pumped from the skimmer with a Sequence 750 with a basket and then directly to the DATT (Dave A Trickle Tower) :D
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

EA EAzy pod designed just for this purpose. Or as Gazza says a TT with BHM?

Jules
Al
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Al »

DATT sounds like a plan.... :lol: any pics? turnover will be approx 1250gs thro each skimmer, and like you say i might as well make use of em.

It can be hidden if ness or incorparated into a rockery, to be honest im not to bothered if it looks ok, the cosmetics come later if you know what i mean..... :lol:
simonc
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by simonc »

i was thinking of getting a sieve like the £200 quid kusuri ones, not overly pretty but seem to remove a lot of gunk.
Al
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Al »

Jules, im well EA 'd up!! 2 nexus, i wanted something different for that end off the pond, that would help the flow of the system, i was going to run it thro a waterfall for the time being but now im thinking just do it all in 1 hit...

I was looking at those too simon, its just the cleaning bit.... :evil:
chr1ssy
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by chr1ssy »

:) Hi Al,

I can recommend a compact sieve from experience they are very good on a skimmer line, it is amazing how much they remove from the water. And so easy to clean the stainless steel grid. I also had lithaqua under the grid that the water passed over and buffered the ph level.

Here's the best part I just happen to have one for sale as I am having the larger one on my new pond build. PM me if you are interested not too far away from you.
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Good idea with the lithaqua Chr1ssy. Nice idea and good sales patter lol. You know you want one now Al! LOL :D

Jules
Al
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Al »

Hi Chrissy,

Hows your pond project coming on?
Im after maintance free if poss, the filtration unit? will be in the centre rear of the pond blended into the rockery, so will be a little akward to get to, im having to work around existing pond works. But.. it may come in handy for the q-pond....ive sent you pm. I was in Leeds, seascott i think? on Fri, driving round and round, thro tunnels and over by passes...... :evil:

Gazza, is your DATT maintanance free?
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Al,

It sure is as we all know BHM eats crap :lol: :lol: all

I still have the basket on the skimmer and also have a basket on the pump just to remove any food that gets pulled in but well how long does that take :wink:

Pictures well give me a few minutes and i will pop out and sort some :wink:
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Hi All,I have an Hydro Clean on my skimmer works really well my water has never been so clear,the draw back with one of these is that it ads no extra filtration should have got a TT more filtration and the same result crystal clear water.wonderful thing hind sight I'm looking into a TT this year so it may have to go depending on where i feed the TT from /LEE
Al
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Al »

TT/BHM is looking odds on at the mo..... :lol:
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi All,

This may also interest Lee as well :D

These units are great it is insulated and the inside measurement is 300mm x 300mm and the length is 1400mm so as you can see not a small unit and it takes 3 boxes of BHM (thats if you want to put BHM in it) which is a fair bit of filtration and thats without the addition of oxygen being a TT.

Sorry for the pictures but unfortunately i don't have much room in the shed anymore lol :lol:

This is the base so i have it on a frame as it should be above pond level.

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... G_2541.JPG[/img]

A couple of shots of the TT:

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... G_2542.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... G_2540.JPG[/img]
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

OK, whilst we're on this topic, I currently have a cartidge filter on my skimmer, flowing 2250 gph. Maintenance is high however and I'm seeking a neat solution, I don't have the room where the carrtridge filter is located for anything too big, so it has to be a Hydro type or a smallish sieve. The skimmer is fed from it's own pump and no bio conversion is required, as all aspects of filtration are kept seperate in my system.

Opinions on these two options 9Or suitable alternatives) would be much appreciated, I like the cartridge as it stops everything from leaves to fines, I doubt I'll get that from anything else in a small footprint but cleaning is a pain.

Chi
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

you haven't painted that bin on the Q/tank green have you Gazza..? :lol: