UV filter problem

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

shaz
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

UV filter problem

Post by shaz »

Hi all. Upon inspection of my tmc pro clear 55watt uv i noticed that the bulb had gone. When i took it out it was broken and so was the quartz sleeve. I have replaced the quartz sleeve along with bulb and o rings. I have also put on new bulb holders as these were corroded where water /damp had got in. Now when i switch on the light all that happens is the 2 elements at the end glow and thats it. Is the bulb faulty or has my ballast gone? Is there a way to check?
Many thanks Sharon
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UV filter problem

Post by Manky Sanke »

If damp has got in, it's probably the electronic ballast unit and there is no practical way that you could check it. You could eliminate the new bulb being faulty (unlikely) by buying a new one which you could keep as a spare after eliminating it as a possible cause.

Replacement ballasts are easily available but there are several styles so you should check with the supplier, maybe with a picture of your old one attached to the email, just to make sure.

Here is a typical supplier showing a picture of a ballast that looks like the one you will need.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tridonic-PC1- ... Swg3FUdIX6