Recharging a dechlorinator

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Airlite
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Recharging a dechlorinator

Post by Airlite »

Novice asking for advice again. I've currently got an Evolution Aqua in-line dechlorinator/activated carbon filter which has been running non-stop for 8 months or so and it's running perilously close to the manufacturers limit of 300,000 litres. Does anyone know if you can refill these units with replacement activated carbon or would I be better just getting a new unit? Thanks, M
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Recharging a dechlorinator

Post by Manky Sanke »

I haven't tried to take one of these to pieces but I have seen them close up when I helped set up my preferred way of doing water changes at koi shows, the continuous trickle through method with freshly dechlorinated water.

My recollection is that they aren't made to be taken apart but, if you can refill them, then the carbon to use is granular activated carbon not the cheaper alternative - carbon pellets made from nut shells or charred bones. Someone on another forum asked a similar question and one of the answers was to cut the end off and use a rubber boot to rejoin it after it had been refilled. There were no details as to where to cut it or if the poster had actually done it themselves but, with that idea in mind, the actual method should be fairly easy work out.

From the picture below; cutting through the central tube close to the inlet end cap looks favourite. Depending on what the inside looks like when you have opened it, it doesn't look possible to refill it entirely this way because you won't be able to refill the end part that you've cut off. Again depending on whether there is any inside "plumbing" this will probably mean that the granules will settle to the bottom of the tube if it's used horizontally. That would leave a void at the top that would allow water to pass over the granules rather than through them. This problem will be totally eliminated if it's used vertically.

All this is based on suppositions which are based on knowledge of how similar units are made but I'm fairly sure that there won't be any problems so, if you do this, then let us know whether you've been successful or not. Pictures of the finished item and anything you find on the inside would be appreciated by the many members who use this forum as a source of evidence based knowledge.

Airlite
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: Recharging a dechlorinator

Post by Airlite »

Thanks for the tip Manky. I think I'll purchase a new one anyway just to be on the safe side, but I Like the idea of seeing what's inside and if there's a way of refilling I'll give it a try and post the trial here as you suggest. Thanks again, M