K1 moving filter

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Russ Little Pond
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

K1 moving filter

Post by Russ Little Pond »

For those with or have had a K1 moving filter did you, for winter preparation or during winter alter the amount of air flow to the chamber, leave it the same all year round, use the water going into the chamber to stir the K1 over winter.

What do you do ?

Me I keep the air flow the same and never reduce over winter or use the water into the chamber to stir the K1.
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: K1 moving filter

Post by Manky Sanke »

I have a block built filter system that includes an aerated K1 bay. I don't heat in the summer but, as winter approaches, I heat to prevent the pond temperature from falling below 13°C until the coldest part of winter arrives when I readjust the thermostat to drop the temperature, reasonably quickly, to 4°C to give the koi a "winter" period. I hold it there until spring looks imminent and again, reasonably quickly, take the temperature back up to 13°C until spring has well and truly arrived and the ambient temperature can maintain the pond temperature and slowly take it up to its summer temperature.

During summer or my "winter" period I leave the air in the bay alone. There is a perfectly valid argument that the air in aerated K1 bays could be turned down considerably as water temperatures fall well below 10°C and the fish have stopped feeding because their ammonia excretions will have fallen to a very low level and the bugs are becoming dormant so they won't need the full summer amount of oxygen anyway. I don't see any advantage in restricting the flow from the normal air pump but a small amount of energy could be saved if the normal pump was replaced with a lower power one but, for me, that would be too much trouble for the small saving.