new pond system

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

dizzykoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

new pond system

Post by dizzykoi »

I have a friend who has inherited a 13000gal pond with fish of varying sizes he has a really old filter system ( 2 IBC's full of alfagrog) on it and wants to put a new one on in spring but we are struggling with what to use, budget is a slight consideration and we have size issues approx 8x7 by head height (6ft)the pond is pump fed by 2 x 20000ltr pumps all in 2inch pipework we have just fitted 2 x 110 uv's which he wants to run over winter to see if he can get some clear water as we speak it's pea green.any opinions will be welcome. :idea:
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: new pond system

Post by Manky Sanke »

Dizzy,

Biological filtration is mainly dependent on stocking rate and amount of food fed rather than actual pond size so we would need more information to give advice as to which filter to choose. Personally, I like my block built filter system (vortex, brushes, static K1 and aerated K1 plus a DIY shower full of Lytag) because I get pleasure from building things myself. But if I was to change to a ready made system I'd be thinking about the convenience of the Nexus range mainly because of the ease of maintenance. Unfortunately these, like all good proprietary systems, are expensive and your friend has cost as a factor.

If he wants a ready made system for a well stocked pond of that size, he had better reconcile himself to a high cost unless he can find something for sale on eBay or similar sites.

Alfagrog in IBCs doesn't sound like a very good system but, if he is prepared to build something himself then a good system will be much cheaper.

Related to that idea, DIY filtration systems is one of the club talks that I do and I remember that you asked if I did club talks. I've tried to contact you about these but I don't know if you've received my emails because I haven't received a reply. Let me know if you want to arrange one and I'll book a date for next year before all my available time is booked.
dizzykoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Re: new pond system

Post by dizzykoi »

first of all nothing has arrived with regard to talks but we are having a commitee meet this sunday so i will ask for the end of 2016.with regard to food/stocking levels we think and I say think because the pond is pea green at the mo due to him inheriting it and its been untouched for 4 yrs at least about 30 fish ranging from this years spawn up to 2ft and food approx 4times a day 3 handfuls at a time his fish knowledge is very limited I have walked the pond and I know its full of weed which I have explained when we can see has to come out other wise his pumps are going to block.my thoughts went to an EB100 bead and a sieve thats the kind of money that is available????he is wanting a clear pond that he can sit around and have a beer no special fish just pleasure.cheers sid