Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

brownie
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

help and advice

Post by brownie »

Hi All,

I am building my first pond and need a bit of help and advice.

My pond will be 2250 gallons with aerated bottom drain going to a nexus 200 then in to a evo 30 UV, I then wanted to return the water back to the pond via an Oase tradux but I don’t know what pump to use to pump the water through the UV and back to the pond, the water won’t have to go far or rise that much can someone help and give me some advice please? Oh and please be gentle this is my first pond!

Thanks

Rod
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: help and advice

Post by Manky Sanke »

Rod,

I'd be glad to help but I'm not really sure why you would want to use a Tradux for connecting a pipe into a liner pond. I had never heard of that particular fitting so I Googled it and came up with this at various prices from just over £20 (inc carriage) upwards. Is this the fitting you mean?

If that's the one you're referring to, it's quite expensive and not really suitable. The type of fitting below is far better and cheaper. For example, the one below is available from Absolute Koi for £7.50 .

The Tradux fitting is designed for flexi pipe and the Absolute Koi one is typical of flanged liner fittings in that it's made for solid pipe. Have you any objection to using solid pipe? If not then I'd suggest that you do it the way EA show in this PDF but with the UV in the return pipework.

http://www.absolute-koi.com/pdf/NexusEazyManual.pdf

As for pumps, Nexus say that the correct pond turnover rate is every two to three hours. I'd say that a turnover rate of two hours is the minimum and that the optimum turnover rate is once per hour. Your 2,250 gallon pond will contain just over 10,000 litres and the maximum flow rate through the Nexus in the PDF is 10,000 litres per hour so you could almost achieve a one hour turnover if you bought a pump that would deliver 10,000 litres per hour.

That would be pushing the Nexus to it's limit and I don't have a Nexus so I can't comment on how they perform at the highest flow rate. I'm sure that would be OK but, just to make sure, before you commit yourself I'd first have a chat with EA. They're very friendly and their phone number is on the PDF.

Was that gentle enough? And what else do you want to know?
brownie
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by brownie »

Hi Manky,

First of all many thanks for all your advice!

Yes the Oase tradux I was going to use flexi pipe to take the water back to the pond but solid pipe it is now!

It’s a bit late for me to change my mind on the filter as I jumped in at the deep end and have already bought one LOL! Would fitting something like a Cetus sieve or a Multicyclone prefilter help?

Yes that was very gental thanks again Manky, the only other point that I am a bit unsure on is fitting the bottom drain I have chose this one from absolute koi http://www.absolute-koi.com/subcat538.html?c=902, if there’s anything else that you think is important and I should pay attention to please let me know.

Project starts on the 29th of August so I will post some pictures up on how I am getting on.

Thanks

Rod
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

Rod,

I don't have a lot of faith in the Multicyclone. They are made for the swimming pool market where the water is much cleaner than in a koi pond and the pumps are much more powerful. I've seen several forum posts expressing disappointment with them but sieves generally get good comments.

I think your proposed design is good but, if you're a complete novice, there is the potential to make mistakes that you wouldn't make on your second pond! Time is short but what I would normally suggest is that, before building their first pond, those new to the hobby should join a koi club and ask the members if they could look at a few of their installations. A very good question to ask is; "if you started again, what would you do differently?"

Have you already had a look at a few installations so that you can pinch a few good ideas and avoid whatever mistakes that the owners would avoid if they built another pond? If not, it's something I'd highly recommend before you begin.
brownie
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by brownie »

Hi Manky,

Right ok Multicyclones are out of the window now!

I have looked at lots of pond builds and that’s how I have come up with what I am going to do, I’m pretty confident of what I am doing just wasn’t sure on a few bits and bobs.

I will keep a log of how its going and post pictures on how I’m getting on.

But thanks for your help Manky I really do appreciate it, and if I get stuck I will fire you a message! LOL

Thanks

Rod