Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Shamus
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Ultra bead ub 60

Post by Shamus »

Hi all
Got a second hand one for my pond and was thinking off getting the bypass for it but cost is 170.
Question is I must be able to make one for half the price but where can I get the parts that screw onto the bead and conect to the multiport valve, can get the rest from my local koi dealer.
If anyone can help or has made there own bypass would appreciate your help.

Cheers
Shane
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ultra bead ub 60

Post by Manky Sanke »

Shane,

Multiport valves were originally designed for a swimming pool sand filter so all fittings can be obtained from a swimming pool supplier. If you take the valve into any pool supplier and tell them what you want to do they will sell you all the parts you need to do it.

Quite a few koi dealers also stock many of the fittings, if you have another local koi dealer, you could try there first to see if they have a wider range of fittings.

There are three possible fittings that you will need to connect to the multiport valve.

Any one of them will screw into the valve, the options depend on what you want to connect and they come in a choice of ABS or PVC:

1½ inch BSP Plain - threaded nipple (used to connect directly to a 90°bend or swept bend)
1½ inch BSP Hex nipple (nearly the same thing - also used to connect directly to a 90°bend or swept bend)
1½ inch BSP Socket nipple (connects directly to pipework)

If you want to make connections into the tank itself, that will depend on the original manufacturer of the tank, not the koi manufacturer who bought some in and made bead filters out of a sand filter tank. This is a little more tricky as the fittings will depend on the holes the original manufacturer cut into the tank. They can be either 1½ inch or 2 inch but apart from that they are fairly standard tank connectors. I could look at the tank and know exactly what will fit best. (No disrespect - I've worked with all sizes and types of sand filters for donkey's years). The simplest idea I can suggest is to cart the tank to a swimming pool dealer. They will know what to sell you.
Shamus
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Re: Ultra bead ub 60

Post by Shamus »

Cheers Manky
Been to a couple of dealers but don't have the size.
It's the threaded parts I'm after and they are between 2 and 3in so I'll have a look about for a swimming pool place and ask them.
Cheers
Shane