Moving house and need super fast pond !!!

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

rallying1
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Moving house and need super fast pond !!!

Post by rallying1 »

We are moving house and our buyers are not happy about looking after our koi whilst we sort a new pond out ( in case they kill them wtf? ) anyway I am now looking to get something sorted in quick time at the new house. We have 14 koi up to 55cms and need a decent sized pond, filter etc as the pond and filter is embedded at the old house and would wreck the garden to remove. I have a 4 bay and vortex just about sorted and was thinking about a preformed pond, dig the hole with a little JCB stick a bottom drain in and drop it in the hole, but the preformed ones are either fookin expensive or not big enough, we do have A modest budget so the Gucci stuff is well out, any ideas welcome or any leads as to where to get a big enough preformed at decent money?

Cheers
Gary.
tancho boy
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Re: Moving house and need super fast pond !!!

Post by tancho boy »

Hi Gary,

No experience of pre-formed ponds and the only one I have seen came over from central Europe and was very expensive, so thought you may consider a holding tank whilst you got a new pond built. I bought a vat last year when I needed to work on the pond but my one is far too small for your size of fish. Have a look at these though, you've already got the filtration and with everything slowing down with reducing temperatures, as long as you've got a heater to stop silly low temps, they could give you a chance to build your dream pond?! http://www.directwatertanks.co.uk/fish- ... tAodESwAbA. You'll need to make/get a cover of course but may have a garage you could pop it in?

Best of luck,
Mark
John E
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by John E »

Hi Gary, I would agree with the idea of setting up a vat for your fish. I'm in a similar position to you in as much as my house is currently for sale and to make it more attractive to buyers I've actually filled my pond in and have all my fish in a 2 mtr dia show vat with a Kockney Koi 'black box' type filter and uv running it. I have 15 fish in it up to 60cms and they are all fine. I've had them in there for over 6 months now with no problems over and above any I had with the pond. They get a 30% water change every weekend and with no heater in it I've actually wrapped the vat around with space blanket loft insulation and covered it with polycarbonate sheets and also wrapped the filter box, purifier and pipe work.
So far it's been a mild winter so the temp hasn't fallen below 8 degrees C, but I'm confident that even if we have a cold snap in Feb/March the fish will be ok. This is the second time I've had to take these measures and both times I've not had any casualties.
If there's no garage at the new house then find a sheltered spot and even put up one of those pop up gazebos you can get at Argos.
Good luck with the new house and pond

John E.
Koiquarium
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Koiquarium »

Hello there Gary
We do GRP raised glazed koi ponds if they are suitable for your requirement? Full info is at our website listed at the bottom of the forum.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Gary,

Are you a member or do you know the local koi club :?:

They normally have VATS and you may be able hire/borrow one while you set up your new set up.