Heating

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Shamus
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Heating

Post by Shamus »

Just like to say hi to everyone on the forum.
First post so be gentle.
Been keeping koi for a long time now and thinking of getting my pond heated pond is 4700g already got 170.000 btu heat exchanger and been offered a glowworm Hxi 18kw condensing boiler would this be up to the job.
Cheers
Shane
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Heating

Post by Manky Sanke »

Hi Shane and welcome,

As a bit of background information, the size of any heater or heat exchanger system will depend on the pond temperature that you wish to maintain and taking into account the heat losses. A good rule of thumb is that 1 kW per 1,000 gallons is sufficient to heat the average pond to the mid twenties in summer and will easily maintain a temperature above 10°C in a covered pond in winter although it might struggle to get much higher than that in an exposed pond during a harsh winter.

Many people associate kilowatts with electric heaters but they are also used to assess the outputs of other heaters such as gas boilers.

On your pond, the boiler you've been offered works out to 3.8 kW per 1,000 gallons and the heat exchanger will be capable of transferring heat from a boiler at a rate of up to 10 kW per 1,000 gallons so the pair together will be plenty. In fact, so that when the pond temperature begins to drop and the boiler switches on and begins to raise it back to the set point, it doesn't raise it too quickly, I'd suggest that you install a bypass around the heat exchanger.

This is a little bit fussy if the boiler is always ready to switch on and the stat can control the temperature to about one degree centigrade but is more important during initial heating or any other reason why the heat source isn't available for an extended period and the pond temperature drops significantly. It's also a more efficient way of heating water if the temperature of the water coming out of a heat exchanger can be controlled so that it's between 1°C to 2°C warmer than the temperature going in to it.

There are two ways to do this; the first picture shows the way that I most often see a bypass installed but the second picture shows a method that will give more control over the rate of rise. Using typical figures, I once calculated that the first method can only control the flow through a heater from 100% down to around 70% while the second method can control the flow through a heater from 100% down to around 20%.

This method gives less control over the flow through a heater or heat exchanger because most of the flow will take the easiest path straight through the heater and will "bypass" the bypass. The typical control range through the heater is from 100% with the valve fully closed, going down to around 70% with it fully open.

This method gives greater control over the flow through a heater or heat exchanger because, with the valve fully open, most of the flow will bypass the heater and, as the valve is closed, more and more of the water has to go via it. The typical control range through the heater is from 100% with the valve fully closed, going down to around 20% with it fully open.
Shamus
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Shamus »

Cheers Manky
A lot of good information.
Now I know it's alright I'll get it and hopefully have it fitted before the bad weather starts.
Thanks again
Efficiencyman
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Efficiencyman »

Hi Shane, I totally agree with syd`s reply he is spot on for what you have been offered if you wish to burn gas at the ever increasing prices. My system would be to use a hybrid variation by installing a heat pump with it, I am using about 80% less gas with the heat pump providing most of my heat demand. Only when it`s excessively cold i.e. when the COP factor becomes so low or when the evaporator would ice over do I set it thermostatically (up to about 20% of gas use) to swap over to gas use when frosty. As most of the heating season is above those frosty days I can achieve a 3, 4, 5, or 6 Kw from each 1 Kw consumed according to my past gas use my pay back time should be in about 4 years with the projected gas price rises. If this interests you PM me.
NickGrayOnline
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by NickGrayOnline »

We find polycarbonate works as an excellent insulator and can help by maintaining a temperature of 6⁰C over the temperature of an uncovered pond.

We have covered many Koi ponds with polycarbonate during the winter and only had positive feedback! Worth baring in mind! :D

David Jackson

Koi pond winter cover solutions - Nick Gray Building Plastics http://www.nick-gray.co.uk/koi-carp-pond-cover