Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

jwmachon
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

window in bricked koi pond

Post by jwmachon »

hi.my pond is blockwork with 4" blocks laid on side so 8"now

we have decided to put a window in so this is my plan am I right in thinking this I'm wanting glass supported on 3 side not 4 so no blocks above

stihl saw size of hole out of block 

InsIde put wood 2" away from wall sides 20mm deep

render upto the wood when dry remove wood

fIbreglasser will then fibreglass inside the recess

seal glass in recess.

however I'm looking at a window of 4ft x 2ft there is no rebar in the clockwork is this ok
Markey
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Re: window in bricked koi pond

Post by Markey »

As for the rebar question - I'm not sure how safe it will be (maybe ok) sure soeone else can confirm or not.
I used a stainless frame on mine.
TBH. I am not a great fan of infinity style , always think it looks better with a lintel and coping stone above - But just my personal preference.

That said, they way you describe will work ok, lot of people I know have frameless like this either with or without lintel,
I would just say the easier option is to forget render and line with 25mm celotex, and just cut it to suit the window and fibreglass over.
Dead easy to do and you get insulation as well.

Just my thoughts.

Mark
jwmachon
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by jwmachon »

thanks just need to know now whether is will be structurally ok with no rebar
Markey
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Markey »

sorry mate, not my area of expertise. hope u get a reply soon
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

JW,

I've built a few swimming pools and it's common to have Roman Ends (walk in steps). I've seen the pictures you've posted elsewhere and what I think you're planning to do with the wall is similar to how a Roman End is fitted but with the gap filled with a sheet of glass rather than the steps. So I'd like to answer your question but I'm not sure what you mean about rebar in the blocks. I can't see how rebar could be fitted in a block wall with single blocks laid on their sides.

If you could explain, I could give you the answer but my initial thoughts are that unless you are thinking of something entirely different to what I think you are planning to do then the construction you already have will be fine.
Aqualife2u
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Aqualife2u »

I would say you should be fine, i used rebar on my construction for peace of mind although i was told i didn't really need it.
InstantKoiPond
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by InstantKoiPond »

If you have a pond construction with no rebar and you would like to retro fit a window. There are two basic ways. One is to fit one of our frames, for example a 1200 x 600 x 220 mm frame. You cut out the 1200 by the depth you want to go with the window depending if you want an infinity style or a four sided with a lintel over. This will be 600 deep + a mortar bed thickness for an infinity. You then cut out mid way across the 220 mm wall thickness 100 mm wide x 60 mm deep to allow the frame lugs which take a rebar, to be concreted in. The frame will add strength to the wall around the window area. You can also cut out 50 x 50 mm slots down the block work and concrete in a rebar either side of the window and around the pond if needed.
The same 50 x 50 mm slots can be used around the window area if just glass is being fitted to add strength to the wall.
All our products come with easy to follow fitting instructions.