Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

tancho boy
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Seneye

Post by tancho boy »

Hi all,

Been looking at this recently and wondered if anyone has any experience of them (no trace on search). On the face of it they look a good bit of kit and not too pricey but I wonder whether they live up to their word.
http://www.seneye.com/

Can't find a great deal on them but have been keeping an eye on this thread, which is the best ongoing review I can find
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/to ... e__st__200
Seems the sceptics generally turned into followers but I wonder what us pond keepers think, especially maybe some of the more techy people on here.

Btw, I would of course double check results periodically with hanna.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Mark
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Seneye

Post by Manky Sanke »

Mark,

Having spent half a lifetime playing with equipment for remote displays of water parameters I was also initially very sceptical because such equipment needs constant calibration in order to maintain accuracy. pH probes are an obvious example.

Having read more about the Seneye I'm far less sceptical because they get round the recalibration problem by replacing the part of the sensor that varies with age rather than asking the owner to recalibrate it which would be complicated. On another forum, iirc, one poster said he replaced the sensor every month and his display remained accurate, and I think someone else said that readings started to drift slightly towards the end of the month.

Sensors are £18 for three which is £6 per month or £72 per year. A bit more if you have to replace them more frequently. This is an expensive hobby so if that seems affordable and good value for money, then the Seneye is a good investment.

Without wishing to be negative about a product that seems to do exactly what it says on the tin, the only disadvantage I can see is its cost when you buy the device and all the extras. Some koi keepers will happily spend huge amounts on fish, filters or food but from the email requests for help that I get, the problems they are having is often the result of their reluctance to use a twenty quid test kit more regularly or, in some cases, them not having even spent the twenty quid in the first place.

If you don't mind the cost, the Seneye seems to be a good product but it won't appeal to anyone who doesn't like the thought of spending money to ensure their water parameters are correct.
Kanundra
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Kanundra »

After having spent near £60 already on test kits this year. I am buying this. One for the main pond, and one for the baby tank, with a hub it will come close to probably nearly £250 with a couple of kits to keep it running for the rest of the year. But for the most part they're reports over the internet and from people who use them are good. So instead of that nice fish I was going to get from Gatwick koi. I'm concentrating on healing the fish I have got (baby tank probs) and in improving the overall quality of their lives.

Job done, and will report what and how it works when they turn up :)

Dawn
tancho boy
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by tancho boy »

Thought I'd pop an update on here, as I went for it and popped a Seneye on my pond last week.

I soaked the slip for 48 hours (from reviews this seems to get over problems some have with 24 hours) and then on Thursday, whilst rigging it up, I got a call from Hanna to whom I had sent my main machine to say it had turned its toes up - call it fate that I now have the Seneye!

Anyways, the readings, Ammonia, PH and Temp. are all running at what I would expect and was experiencing from my Hanna days. I set mine up wirelessly and apart from my computer not recognising the Belkin machine occasionally, cured thus far by re-booting my Talk Talk router, all seems to work well.

I am only 1 week in though and do have a few questions for Seneye but am leaving it a while longer to see if time answers them. Thus far happy and would recommend and be interested to hear what Dawn's experience is, given she has had hers longer than I and has two of them?

Worth a look at least, http://www.seneye.com.

Cheers
Mark
skattykatfuzzy
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by skattykatfuzzy »

Hi,

I know this is an oldish post but just wondered if any of the original poster's have any update on the Seneye, or if anyone else has been using one and has any feedback as to what they thing to the units and whether they are worth looking at.

Cheers

Skatty
tancho boy
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by tancho boy »

Skatty,

Still have my Seneye but changed 'puter to a Mac and not sorted out Parallels software to enable me to use Seneye, as it needs windows to run. Think I saw something about not needing a 'puter at all but may have made that up. Generally though I think they have positive reports and not a great outlay to have such readings at your fingertips, as long as you can sort your 'puter of course :?

Sorry, not much help but I would recommend.

Enjoy the sunny weekend.
Mark
Drakoi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Drakoi »

I think the seneye is a great device. People often stop checing parameters of their water because everything "seems" good.

However, with the seneye you can have it there and if it does go over the limit that you set, then you can see the red light.

The only problem that I think of that device it is the cable. You have to have it cable either on power supply or the computer. I would prefer it if it was working , economicly, with a battery.
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

I am on the verge of buying one when I came across this thread
http://www.koiforum.co.uk/reverse-osmos ... nt-go.html
As I am now running a very skinny K.H. in an attempt to control p.H. ( long story) I am still sitting on the fence. It would be nice to see what my p.H is exactly during the night. let us know what you decide to do. Best regards Dave
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

guys ive heard these are not that accurate, but then that should hardly be surprising being as any electronic meter worth its salt will cost at least several hundred £'s if not thousands for each parameter being measured and checked
and you get all this for pocket money? like I say it should not be a surprise to anyone

talk to Maxine im sure she did a back to back on this system and found the data to be erroneous

dunc
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

Yep!

As someone who has spend half a lifetime remote measuring water parameters and displaying them elsewhere, I can very much agree that you get what you pay for. These days, you can buy electronic gizmos for measuring, say, pH for as cheap as twenty quid for the probe, the electronics and the display all in a neat unit. The kind of equivalent equipment I have been installing for accurate, stable measurement has cost anything from several hundred to a few thousand pounds. (That's the cost price just for the piece of equipment itself with good trade discount and doesn't include any other installation or labour charges).

That doesn't mean that cheaper alternatives are useless but, remember, you get what you pay for so they need to be checked and calibrated far more frequently or the readings cannot be regarded as reliable. Under some conditions a cheaper unit may be reasonably accurate for a month, (Seneye's target), under different conditions, the same unit might be inaccurate in a week.