Hanna checker - handheld

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

bicolormoth
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Hanna checker - handheld

Post by bicolormoth »

I have just got one of the new Hanna handy Checkers. i got the Nitrite one to give it a try. here is my review.

okay, 1st test with the HANNA NITRITE CHECKER - Hi764 says my pond water has 126PPB of Nitrite , i take that to be 0.126mg/L
i expected to see something like 0.07 - 0.10 going off what the API reading shows. but interpretation of colour/shade at such levels is obviously difficult.
so it looks like this unit is capable of reading your Nitrite between 0mg/L and 0.2mg/L which is right where you want it.
if you have a higher reading the unit will tell you it is out of range. you could then revert to the API tester for confirmation.

using the tester.

you will need

1. a small pair of scissors , as the reagent packets are tiny. it would be easy to spill some powder if you tried to tear the packet open.
2. a syringe to fill the vial. best done this way as the vial needs to stay dry on the outside.
3. tissue paper to wipe the vial clean before testing. finger prints could spoil the test.

doing the test:

1. the 1st sample of water straight from the pond is placed in the unit for calibration.
(as it has 2 vials i found it easiest to fill both with sample water, using a syringe for accuracy.)
2. then reagent added to the 2nd sample (water turns pink), and the vials swapped over.
3. the reagent sample is then checked against the calibrated sample of unreacted water.
4. the timer counts down for 6 mins & then displays the result.
job done. !

on initial findings i would say this is an accurate test , as the reading came out roughly where i expected it to.
I would like to go round checking every water source available but the reagents cost around 30p a pop. so you could soon run up a bill. LOL.

i might do a few, on tap water etc. (i'm not THAT tight.)

I hope you found my review helpful .

Russell