Flow through anoxic pond

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Loadbragle
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Flow through anoxic pond

Post by Loadbragle »

Hello everyone, this is my first post on Simply Kio :)

I am currently at the planning stage of my first Koi pond. Having never kept fish before, or constructed a pond, I'm finding that the planning of one is helping me to understand a lot of the many aspects of the hobby. My intentions that the finished pond will look good, be a good home for fish and that it should be easy and economic to maintain.

I like the idea of the low maintenance aspect of 'anoxic filtration' so this is the system I will go for. I have a question regarding water flow through the anoxic pond: when playing around with drawings of baskets sitting in the anoxic pond, it occurred to me that causing the water to follow a longer circuit through the filter might enhance its performance. I understand that the anoxic baskets are sensitive to strong or directed flow though, so an answer on the matter could save me repeat redrawing the setup over and over again simply trying to get it looking right, please take a gannda at the diagrams and let us know what you think, taas :D
Attachments
A-Pond.jpg
A-Pond.jpg (21.43 KiB) Viewed 11372 times
Streamflow.jpg
Streamflow.jpg (21.86 KiB) Viewed 11372 times
Pondflow.jpg
Pondflow.jpg (46.93 KiB) Viewed 11372 times
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Flow through anoxic pond

Post by Manky Sanke »

The serpentine path you propose is interesting but, although I've never conducted trails that aren't "in at one end and out the other" my gut feeling is that it won't make any significant difference. The water in the last drawing will make its way from the input to the output at a leisurely rate and will have x amount of contact time with the baskets. The serpentine route will have a faster flow but if the flow across each basket is, say, four times that then the contact time with each basket will only be one quarter that of the standard design.

Whatever rate you have in the anoxic pond, the result of a slow flow for a longer contact time compared with a faster flow for a proportionally shorter time will come out the same.
Loadbragle
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Re: Flow through anoxic pond

Post by Loadbragle »

Thanks loads for that advice M S, I'm going to keep it simple, no messing with screens and circuit's, just pack as many baskets in as I can and get an efficient Air-Lift installed.