Fluke problems, dosage rates and strange salt readings.

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

andy m
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Fluke problems, dosage rates and strange salt readings.

Post by andy m »

Hello all,

I am hoping someone will be able to help.

This year I have had my first problems with parasites. Long story short, It turns out they have flukes (gill i think).

I did my first treatment with fluke solve . The fish seemed happier, and no more deaths. 5 days later a couple of them were looking miserable and staying at the bottom. I did a scrape and found more flukes ! I was surprised as I thought fluke solve stayed active for weeks?

I have put a second dose in (two days ago) and again they are looking happier.

My questions are, is it ok to dose with fluke solve (praziquantil) that close apart?

When should I re dose again? My understanding is I am trying to catch the eggs as they hatch. (Water is around 17deg)

Also, is it safe to use other treatments at the same time as fluke solve?

My second question is what does fluke solve to to salt readings? The reason I ask is that the pond salt level is currently reading 4 x10 ppm. Before I put the fluke solve in it was 498 ppm. I also wonder what it does as as i tried to get an accurate measurement of pond volume a few days ago by using the salt method on manke sankes website. 2kg of salt raised the level by 152ppm. If i got the calculations right it would sugest I have a pond of around 13000l. This is about twice what i think it is . I think it is around 7500l. Could the fluke solve in the water be suppressing the salt level readings?

Any thoughts are much appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Andy
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fluke problems, dosage rates and strange salt readings.

Post by Duncan »

Andy
praziquantel is a fast acting fluke treatment but it also vanishes from the system fast because of this it has no spectrum of action on fluke eggs other than whats hatching at the time so a repeat dose is needed a week apart

also fluke solve is only 50% prazi where as the stuff i sell is 100% pure
the really good news is you can really overdose prazi i cant say that about fluke solve because i dont know what the other 50% is

hope this helps
Duncan