white spot

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

beemer
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

white spot

Post by beemer »

Recently had builders laying a patio in the garden fairly close to the pond at one place. There was a lot of dust around from the hardcore then from the cutting of paving. The pond clarity went very slightly cloudy. There was also the vibration from the compressing of the hardcore. Soon after I noticed one of my Kujaku hanging around the return inlet and also round the air stones. On closer inspection the fish had the classic white spot signs of the sprinkled salt appearance. A scrape confirmed it. I treated with MG/F following the protocol in Duncans book. The temp was 19%C. So treated on day one then allowed four clear days and treated again on day 6 (four days ago) but today have lost another fish (oddly another Kujaku). I had noticed this fish up at the surface staying in one place, so caught it and scraped but found nothing and no visual sign of whitespot. A few hours later it died, I took another skin scrape from the dead fish and also another scrape from the gill filaments as the fish cannot have been dead for 30 mins when I found it, again nothing on the scrapes. The next treatment is due tomorrow which I intend to go ahead with. Is it possible that the fish already had whitespot before the treatment began? and ultimately died from the effects although the whitespot seems to be no longer present. I haven't done a test yet but suspect the filter will be hard hit with ammonia and nitrite present and intend to add a pond bomb. When the pond went cloudy the KH had risen to 8degrees from 6. Any help appreciated.