How long?

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Coelophysis
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

How long?

Post by Coelophysis »

Hi,

Hopefully, Duncan will see this post and be able to offer some advice.

The koi have been plagued by gill flukes, trichodina and costia. Two weeks ago, I successfully treated the trichodina with the standard dose of pp. Last weekend, I used praziquantel and m&f combined against the flukes and costia. Yesterday, I scraped the worst affected showa to find only gill flukes (Dactylogyrus), but there were several on each slide. I treated with FX1, but today, there is no apparent sign of improvement with my showa and some others still gasping at the surface. My question is how long does it take for FX1 to kill the flukes so that I should see an improvement as I am concerned that I may soon begin to lose fish, especially my showa?

Thanks,
Mark
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How long?

Post by Duncan »

hi mark sorry for the delay ive had no internet even now im on 4G
how are things going?
prazi needs to be used twice a week apart for gill flukes
you should be good now with FX1
please confirm
dunc
Coelophysis
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Re: How long?

Post by Coelophysis »

Hi Duncan,

Sorry for delay in responding, but we've just returned from two weeks away on holidays.

Unfortunately, I lost the battle to save my precious Momotaro Showa. I carried out a series of large water changes and reverted to praziquantel as the FX1 was taking too long to take effect. Initially, she seemed to perk up after the first dose, but then suddenly and unexpectedly she succumbed to gill flukes and costia. I then added m&f to the second dose of praziquantel to kill the costia.

Two weeks later and the fish don't look so good today. Admittedly, they've not had any water changes for the two weeks we've been away although I did leave a constant trickle of fresh water running as is my usual practice and they hadn't been fed whilst we were away. Peculiarly, several seem to have reddened heads and gill plates which is particularly evident on the koi with areas of white on their heads or gill plates. I carried out some scrapes on one of the affected fish and found two gill flukes, but no sign of costia.

Hopefully, the water changes I have carried out today will see them improve, otherwise their condition maybe attributable to Dactylogyrus. I note on another thread that FX1 is being combined with Chloramine-T to better effect? Is the CT used at the usual dose for parasites?

Thanks,
Mark