Fluke Treatment

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Fluke Treatment

Post by DaveB »

Just wondering if Duncan or anyone has used flubenol and Duncans Prazi together for treatment of both body/gill flukes. I understand that some people are having success with Columbo learnex and noticed that 2 of the ingredients are Flubendazole and Prazquental . I Have also heard that people in my own area have had success with seperate treatments of FlukeP followed by FlukeM one week apart, whuch I understand has the same ingredients as above.
Flukes are definately building up a resistance to a lot of treatments of late. I am reluctant to use any of the off the shelf treatments due to have a 5400g pond , some of these treatments work out very expensive especially if I have to treat twice. So just wondering whether Duncan or anyone has experimented with the above. Best Regards Dave
beemer
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Re: Fluke Treatment

Post by beemer »

Hello Dave

I have just treated with Lernex. On scrapes I had found Trichodena and Flukes, so I treated with PP then a couple of days later with Lernex. After a week, on re-scraping I still had a few flukes and an odd trichodena. With the cost of meds being so high I thought I would PP again two doses 4 days apart as in Duncan's book (for Flukes) with the double whammy of getting rid of the remaining trichodena. It seems to have worked.

However having read your post re the Lernex being Praziquantel and Flubenol combined, is it possible that over time use of Lernex may lead to flukes becoming resistant to both at the same time? Should we be using only one of either Flubenol or Praziquantal ? This would give the fall back to the other in the event of flukes developing a resistance to one.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi Dave sorry i missed this
i have no idea what's in the Colombo lernex what other do is of no interest to me but to answer your question i would not use them together, of course you have no idea what the concentration of each is in the colombo treatment it may be negligible concentration

the last guy i saw the used fluke m and fluke P together resulted on chemical burns on the fish

as regards cost you surely cant get cheaper than FX1 which treats 7500 gallons and is a one shot treatment for both

dunc
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

Duncan.
AS you know since posting this I have used FX1 and fortunately it has done the trick. As it was only the one treatment using FX1 ( the trick was to keep it in the water for a minimum of 10days)it worked out very cheap for a 5400 gallon pond. I can,t say for certain but appears to work on gill flukes as well. It is over 2 months since I treated and touch wood have not returned.