What's the latest on Dermocystidium?

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Trace
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

What's the latest on Dermocystidium?

Post by Trace »

Hi all,

I have a small koi that has looked as if it has carp pox (gets worse in colder temps as is the norm) for over a year now ... I'm unheated so just over 6c just now and it had got a bit worse than usual but I just put that down to the prolonged colder temp.

Tonight I noticed a definite couple of craters for the first time as it was feeding ... they don't look red so I'm thinking they must have popped some time ago and are now healing.

Fish is behaving fine apart from that ... I'll get a better look in daylight over the next couple of days.

This is the first time I've ever come across Dermocystidium ... is there anything I should be doing now I've discovered it?

:)
Airlite
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: What's the latest on Dermocystidium?

Post by Airlite »

Hi Trace, I'm sure Duncan or Manky will be able to best advise you here as this is way beyond my limited experience. However, I did a quick Google to see what Dermocystidium was and found this forum article which may (or may not) be of some background use to you: https://www.pond-life.me.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8191
Obviously it's important to diagnose correctly so double/triple check this is what your fish have before medicating. Regards, Mick
Trace
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Trace »

Hi Mick ... thanks for your reply and link.

I'd already read Lee's advice on the link which seems centred on treating the cysts after they have ruptured for secondary infections ... the craters on my fish are healing so it seems that isn't relevant at the moment.

What I was interested in was a comment I saw somewhere made (I think) by Duncan although might have been Lee (can't find it now) somewhere where he's said to someone that they'd be better treating the cysts before they rupture.

So I was wondering if there's been any recent advances in treatment as I can see a couple more cysts (looks like carp pox full of small air bubbles/globes) developing and wondered if there was anything I could do now apart from watching the condition take it's course?

:)
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

I saw the question but this is very much Duncan's area. He is obviously busy elsewhere or he would have seen the post and answered it. I'll drop him an email to pop in when he gets a chance.
Trace
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Trace »

Manky Sanke wrote:I saw the question but this is very much Duncan's area. He is obviously busy elsewhere or he would have seen the post and answered it. I'll drop him an email to pop in when he gets a chance.
Thanks ... :)
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi Trace
so i can better advise as this is a very serious condition

can you post a picture of the condition please ?

duncan
Trace
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Trace »

Duncan wrote:hi Trace
so i can better advise as this is a very serious condition

can you post a picture of the condition please ?

duncan
Yes I will get pics a.s.a.p. ... tomorrow if possible ... :)
Trace
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Trace »

Here are some pics .... the affected area is mainly around the head and almost completely covering the right eye with a tiny bit at the tail too.

It looks like carp pox with bubbles in it ... but when in the water looks like two or three healing (no red) craters at the side of the mouth but couldn't get a clear pic of that.

The fish has carp pox too though I think as it comes and goes with the cold temperature but always has a tiny bit even in the middle of summer.

Fish behaves and feeds fine.

It's the "bubbles" that I'm concerned about .... what do you think?

Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

ok the fact that you can see craters means its burst and shed its spores into the water to infect further

im currently battling this in a high end pond and the infected fish came in form a very high end dealer it has now infected probably 12 fish the only treatment that works is silver nitrate
but that's a big stick and can tattoo the fish permanently
ive been back to this pond around 6 times now i keep retreating and retreating till finally it looks like we are on top of this

i have to say there is no recognised cure for this but if you need to know more shout up

dunc
Trace
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Trace »

So do you think it is definitely Dermocystidium?

This is just a cheap fish so not bothered about permanent tattooing, just want it to recover.

Can you tell me more about Silver Nitrate?

Is there anything else I can do for the rest of the pond?
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

certainly looks like dermo to me but unless i had the fish in my hands then i could say for sure

if its a cheap fish i would not risk it spreading to other fish or more expensive fish its that invasive
the pond im working on each fish is worth in excess of 3k so you can see why we are persevering with it it spread like wild fire through this high end pond

dunc
Trace
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Trace »

To late for that it has already healing craters ... none of my fish cost a great deal I'm still in my koi "apprenticeship" ... :)

How would I treat this fish with silver nitrate? ... be good practice for the future ... :)