The Koi hobby seriously threatened in Spain

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

estanque_koi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

The Koi hobby seriously threatened in Spain

Post by estanque_koi »

Hello,
after some years whithout posting here, sadly I'm back again with very bad news.
The current situation of the whole Koi habby in Spain is Desperate.
The common carp and all its subspecies and varieties have been included in the Spanish list of invasive species.
If koi are not excluded from the list, they can not be bought, sold, owned, transported, reproduced, etc. In all the Spanish territory. This will destroy the hobby in Spain, since any koi related activity will be illegal.
The Spanish Koi Keeper's Society (AEK) has submitted a claim together with an expert report, but the experts committee that advises the Ministry has strongly argued against it, and recommended that Kois carp must be considered invasive species for all purposes.
Next January 10, the deadline for submitting a final claim ends. But it seems to me that we need a miracle to revert the situation.
Very sad and worrying news, since if koi are not explicitly excluded from the invasive species list, it will destroy the hobby in Spain and set a dangerous precendent in Europe.
All the best,
Diego
Glenn
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Re: The Koi hobby seriously threatened in Spain

Post by Glenn »

Sorry to hear that Diego, a sad day
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Koi hobby seriously threatened in Spain

Post by Manky Sanke »

I'm also sorry to hear the news. Here in the UK we also have occasional bursts of bureaucracy that seem to defy reason but nothing that threatens to wipe out the hobby. You already have an expert report which, no doubt, fully sets out your case but if there is anyway that we can do to help by signing a petition or publicising the situation please let us know.