Koi wounds

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Aberdonian
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Koi wounds

Post by Aberdonian »

Hi everyone ,I am new on here and looking for help,I have a koi which managed to jump out of a tank by pushing open the lid,I was in the process of treating it for a sore on its side.By the time I found it,it was almost a goner but I did manage to revive it,It now has big red patches where it's scales have come off.Have been treating it with kusuri antibac etc for the last 2 weeks but it is getting worse.
Any suggestions.
I am near Aberdeen,and their are no koi retail outfits other than garden centres,so any thing I need I must get via the net.
Ian
Airlite
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: Koi wounds

Post by Airlite »

Hi Ian, just so the guys can rule a few things out can you say how big your tank is, how it's filtered and what your water parameters are? Also a good, clear picture of the fish's wound might be helpful to see how advanced the injury is. Cheers, M
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

Hi Ian and welcome

what probably happened is the damaged scales have died or are dying and will continue to reinfect making healing near impossible

you need to clean up the damaged area's really well pulling any dead or dying scales you will tell what needs pulling because they will be ragged around the edges and almost clear to look at

then treat with a good topical and seal then treat the tank with "chloramine T"

i can tell you a suitable dose rate if you tell me how hard your water is and give me an idea of the quarantine set up

duncan
Aberdonian
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Aberdonian »

Thank you both for your replies,haven't been able to fully test the water today,but did it earlier this week and were as follows ph 7.4,ammonia 0.nitrite just above 0,nitrate 0,kh 1degree.
Am using a 150gal.collapsable bowl but it is only about 25% full as I am using a fish tank heater in it to keep the temp about 19 degrees,also have a fishmate pressure filter hooked up.
I have been cleaning the wounds with kusuri cleaner,treating it with roccol tried sealing it with kusuri sealer but it doesn't stay on more than a few hours,sealing it with propolis it stays on a bit longer.did try cleaning it with 3%hp,although some scales have been coming off during cleaning.not had the courage to pull any though.
3 years ago my home made filters crashed when I was on holiday,lost 8 of my koi,since then I installed a 3 bay +vortex filter,new pump,air pump etc.last year I had flukes,treated with fluke solve,this year purchased a microscope when the flicking started,found trich.treated 3 hours pp.then after a 25%water change retreated 3 days later 4hours pp,fish fine feeding well for 3/4days then started flashing again,scraped 4 fish nothing found.Water good other than nitrite which was up slightly but acceptable considering the effect of pp on filter.did find masses of costia and chill.in the filter.koi dealer said to use FMG,have treated pond twice with kusuri form & MG according to kusuri instructions.Scraped 3 fish earlier this week nothing,did notice one the gills were pink and a little bit ragged at the edges,did try a cotton bud over them but nothing under scope,still have costia and chill. In filters fish always flashing a few days after each treatment,kusuri say to reduce amount of mg when using with form,could that be why?.Sorry can't upload photos my it skills ain't that good.
Just thought I would give some background info as to why the koi is so bad on both sides.
PS the koi jumped out of 6gall tank while I was trickling water into its present one,thanks
Ian
Aberdonian
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Aberdonian »

Duncan
You will guess our water is so soft it is only 1degree out of the tap
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

Yes very soft
I would go with CT at 2 gm per 100 gallons days 1,2and 3then rest for 7 days
Aberdonian
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Aberdonian »

Thank you Duncan,just ordered some CT & sealer from your web site,put your book on my Xmas list!!
Ian
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

sent this morning mate thx
dunc