Tric and flukes

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Phampson
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Tric and flukes

Post by Phampson »

Just done a scrape and found tric and Gill flukes, what's the best course of treatment please, I already have some prazi to treat the flukes, was thinking icc for tric but how much salt will I need on 3500 gallon pond
Airlite
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: Tric and flukes

Post by Airlite »

Duncan or one of the other experienced guys like Dave or Manky will know this better than me and one of them will hopefully see this thread and give you the best options.

As I understand it Potassium Permanganate at 1.5gm/220gal will get rid of the Tric but isn't much cop for gill flukes and I'm not sure what interaction you'd have between the PP and prazi if you dosed both at the same time. Salt should do both tric and gill flukes at the same time but it can take a while (especially for the gill flukes which are a bu&&er to get rid of totally) and means you have to be very careful about what else you put in the pond if other treatments are being considered. A 0.6% dose, which is the sort of dose you'd probably need, equates to 1oz per gallon - that's a lot of salt for your pond - it works out at 99kg of salt to dose 3500 uk gallons, but please make sure you check these figures, I'm relatively new to this!

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on and keep an eye on here for Duncan or one of the other guys' reply to your post. Regards, M
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

I'll leave Duncan to say whether potassium permanganate is compatible with simultaneous dosing with praziquantel. I wouldn't have thought it was but it's more in his area than mine, so I remain to be corrected if it is. However I can work out your dose rate for you.

Dose rates are more simple if we forget pond volumes in gallons and work in litres. Your 3,500 (Imperial) gallon pond contains 15,911 litres which is only 89 litres short of 16,000 litres. That gives you less than 0.5% error in volume but the dose rates can be calculated more accurately because you don't have to work in ounces of salt in multiples of 220 (Imp) gallons with all the conversion errors that brings in.

1 kg in 1,000 litres = 0.1 %
So 0.6% salt concentration in 16,000 litres becomes:
16,000 ÷ 1000 x 6 = 96 kg of salt

Your calculations that led you to 99 kg were correctly done but that figure is slightly inaccurate due to working in ounces and multiples of 220 as mentioned above.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi PP will burn off the prazi
but if it were me i would treat with the prazi for the gill fluke two treatments a week apart to catch the eggs stages and the prazi will knock the trich back a bit as well
then a week later follow up with a PP if they are strill there

dunc
Phampson
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Phampson »

Thanks guys