Free pond software

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Free pond software

Post by Duncan »

Here you can down load free ( to koiquest members) software developed by me Duncan Griffiths to help with you monitoring your ponds systems and your fish and see the relationships between parameters as time and readings go by. It’s an excel file and is totally free all I ask is you credit me with its creation
Here is a break down of the new software first thing to do is make a copy with the save as function in excel save as “pond mate master copy ” then work from this one

down load here http://www.koiquest.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... 75#p105175 you have to be registered member and logged on to get it

First graph

On this first graph this will track you KH/GH/TDS/and pH the PPM are read from the left while the pH because it runs in a different scale is read on the scale the right
Remember you will have a blank copy to create you r own graph these lines are exap0mple parameters put in to explain. hopefully you will then see what happens to your PH and KH how they interact with each other

so this is the first page the pH /KH etc graph . if you have a large screen if you place the curser on the bottom right hand corner of the graph the curser will change to a double headed diagonal black arrow click and hold when it does this and drag the graph out to fill your screen then save .( this was done on a 15inch monitor some every one could view it I have a 28 inch so had to drag it out to improve the size for my screen

the right of the graph is the legend which tell you want all the colours are linked to I.E GH/pH.GH etc\: if you look at the bottom of the spread sheet tabs A-B-C-D-E will navigate you to all the other sheets/graphs and input data fields

To input the date for this graph click tab B at the bottom

At the top you will see an outlined box in orange , yours will be blank now but this is an example .

On the top in yellow are the week numbers and she be left alone on the left of the orange box are your title parameters and should also be left alone inside the orange box is where you enter you data every week through out the year for GH/KH/tds/pH , as soon as you put a value in for4 each week this will show up on the graph on the previous tab

At the end of the year when you want to start again highlight all your input data excluding your title fields and week numbers and right click your mouse and left click “clear contents” or manually hit back space for every data input point ( the long way around it ) do not hit delete button this will wipe the formula and now do not delete the numerics in column 1 hilighted orange this is what makes the graph start from week one same applies to tab c on the nitrogen cycle
Under this is a section for recording for your own records treatment doses for every chemical used in your pond so you don’t have to get the calculator out every time you put a treatment in( this is a permanent record for you feel free to add or take away by over writing

So on the top we have your pond volume
Below the chemicals used and the dose rate for your pond to the right the enter the date you put a treatment in this was if you see a glitch in the graph you can have a look see if you put a treatment in so you can see from the example a pp was put in on 14 /03/2011

This pretty much coves this work sheet

so we click on tab/sheet C

this is the tab that shows the nitrogen cycle of your pond Ammonia , nitrite, nitrate and temperature

this was a bit of a compromise as nitrate values are usually high where as ammonia and nitrite will be very low to zero . with this in mind I expect the NH3 and NO2 to be pretty flat and low where as NO3 will be readable . I wish we could have a zoom facility for NH3 and NO2 but io don’t know of one so I have started the reading on this side at -0.5 so it will show NH3 and NO2 as a line just above the weeks axis so you do at e3last have something to see

if anyone wants the Nitrate scale to be wider let me know and I can easily alter this to suit you but is suspect most of you operate within the scale similarly if you want it narrowed just shout up

The PPM is read from the left and the temp because it runs in a different scale is read from the secondary axis on the right . This pretty much covers this slide so to input the data for this graph click tab/sheet D

If you press Tab d this takes you to the sheet to input the data for the nitrogen graph

I don’t intend to go through the input data as this is the same as already described earlier so below this is a chart of all disease and a first second third preference of effectiveness of chemical for each (dependant on where in the world you are some of these may or may not be legal)

Please read the slide and gain feel free to delete or change anything in this treatment chart dependant on what works for you

Hit the Last tab, tab/sheet E this will take you to the last sheet where you can store photo’s of you koi and data about them things like variety, breeder, show classification , size etc

The next series of slides show you how to upload your pictures and size them

Ok on the next slide I have clicked on the square where I want the photo to go, I then go to the top and click insert (this may look different on your version of excel) so click insert –picture-from file. This will bring the browser up as shown on the next slide

Here you select where you file is on the left, can see I have selected desk top on the left hand side this is where my photo was but . you click on your photo ( you can see I have selected mine, then click insert

this has place the photo as in the next screen but you photo may be two big for the box in fact it probably will be. In this case you can either shrink you photo but clicking on a corner and dragging it to a smaller size or do as follows . right click on the photo, and select format picture or dependant on your version of excel size picture this will bring up the last screen

This is the picture properties box where you can click an up down arrow and resize the picture by percentage when done hit enter . this will be trial and error

finally download here http://www.koiquest.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... 75#p105175
kath1111
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Re: Free pond software

Post by kath1111 »

Thanks Duncan, will give it a go. Much better than my scraps of paper held together with a paperclip!!!
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi Duncan

WOW, I will definatly be getting someone to sort this out for me, seeing as I am a complete technaphobic :lol: :lol:

Amasing, thank you so much I will definatly be using this, you are a star
sam51
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by sam51 »

well done duncan, for creating this (shall i say masterpiece). but im afraid its well over my head.
im to old now to be pc correct.
i wish we could turn the clock back 30years, life was so simple then. lol.
on another note, are you going to be doing any more wet days,
all the best sam.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Duncan,

Great stuff as you know Ive had this for some time but great to let others see it as its much easier than my old book which is a right mess now :D
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Gazza

You will have a buy a new book as we Koi Questers can't be with our bible :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am taking mine apart and laminating it then re-binding it so I make sure I dont ruin mine :P :P
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Kim,

I think for one reason or another i am on my 4 or 5th book and will be laminating mine soon :D
The Stoneman
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by The Stoneman »

Great bit of software Duncan, I'm starting mine tonight. :D

Peter
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

a newer version is now on site witjh some cosmetic enhancments my thanks to Al Gray's dad for polishing it up a bit

dunc
Al
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Al »

Your most welcome Dunc, if you need anything adding or altering just give me a shout, keeps the old man busy :wink: