Concentrations

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Concentrations

Post by Duncan »

Some folks have e-mailed me to find out how to make a 2% solution so here’s an attempt to explain it it’s not exactly rocket science but it takes a little bit of math..

Ok for our example we will assume you want to make a 2% sugar solution, (substitute the sugar for anything you want.)

We start out with our bag of sugar and we want to use some of this dissolved into a quantity of water to make a 2% sugar solution after it’s dissolved.

Fortunately for us 1ml or cc of pure water weighs in at 1 gm, so 100 ml is 100 gm 1000 ml or 1 litre 1000gm or a kilo this makes the task at hand real easy

100 ml of water weighs in at 100 gm so to make To make “approx”100 ml of 2% solution

1% of 100 =1, 2% of 100 = 2, therefore we need 2 parts of sugar to 98 parts of water to make the whole at 2%

To if we weigh out 2 gm of sugar and add that to 98 cc or 98 gm of water, hey presto we have our 2% solution.

To expand this if you need approx 1 litre of 2% solution we need to add 20 gm sugar to 980 cc of water if you need multiply this up for higher volumes needed

If you need to make a higher percentage solution i.e 5 % solution it 5gm added 95 grams for approx 100 cc or 50 gm to 950 cc to make approx 1 litre 5%

Note: for most purposes its close enough to add the required amount of sugar to the full volume I.E. 2 gm added to 100 cc the difference is so miniscule 1.9607843%

dont forget usually we are not dealing with pure water tap water is not pure but its close enough, of course if you have RO you can get right down into the accuracy but generally its not needed

hope this helps
dundee
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Re: Concentrations

Post by dundee »

Nice

But how about concentration of formaline ?

In your book you use 30 % formaline. How is this defined ?

I can get 23 % or 37% formaline. How to calculate dosage to get the same effect as 30% formaline ?

best regards
Thomas
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi

formaldehyde or formaln is a gas although we buy it as a liquid and is defined as the saturation of the gas in water with methanol to make it stable

the maximum formaldehyde gas will saturate to is 40% it wont go any higher without some major manipulation

fortunetly for us 30% or 40% the difference makes little difference to the way we does or the dose rate, as our dose rates here in the UK are very conservative in comparison to other countries like the USA

so if i use 10 ml to every 150 gallons of 30% and could onl;y get 37% i would still use 10 ml to every 150 gallons

if you want to know how to work out the concentration of a liquid in your pond i put this on a thread lower down it may help you for working liquids

useful formula to remember for PPM of liquids

25ppm x 150IMP gallons x 0.00454 = 17.025ml 25 = the PPM i want X 150 = the number of gallons X 0.00454 gives you the mls needed for every 150 or stipulated gallons
Geoff9
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Geoff9 »

Hi
I was struggling to work out how to do it all out so I asked Syd Mitchell,this was his reply for my pond,just put your pond gallonage instead of my 6400gallons then,hope that helps.

Geoff

Malachrite Green 2% @10ml per 176gallon for a 6400gallon pond:-
6400(gallons), divide by 176(gallons), multiply by 10(ml) = 363.6 ml (360 ml is close enough). For some treatments, you use half this dose, if you use it in conjunction with Formalin. Check the label.
Formalin 30% @10ml per 150gallons for a 6400gallon pond:-
Do this one yourself, and e-mail me with the exact answer, I may not get back to you straight away because I'll be on holiday, but in the meantime, (if you needed), you would use 430 ml. It's close enough.
I always double check the answer a completely separate way, just to make sure that I don't bugger up the decimal point when I use a calculator, and that the answer is about right. You don't want to dose ten times too much!
Malachite Green
If your pond was 176 gallons you would use 10 ml of Malachite Green.
If your pond was 1760 gallons you would use 100 ml of Malachite Green.
Your pond is MORE than 3 times 1760 so you would expect to use MORE than 3 times this amount.
Your pond is LESS than 4 times 1760, so you would expect to use LESS than 4 times this amount.
So 360 ml is in the right area.
Formalin
If you pond was 150 gallons, you would use 10 ml Formalin.
If your pond was 1500 gallons, you would use 100 ml Formalin.
Your pond is MORE than 4 times, but less than 5 times, 1500 gallons, so your answer should be between 400 ml and 500 ml.
430 ml is in the right area.