Dermocystidium new treatment

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

steve t
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Re: Dermocystidium new treatment

Post by steve t »

Certainly looks a lot better and could be working

Will have an attempt at the doitsu showa tomorrow morning and update how it goes. Thanks for the tip Paul on adding a bit more than the instruction says will try it tomorrow.

Steve
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

What a fantastic post. The pictures being very imformative and reading every stage of treatment has made this a fantastic read and learning curve.
Paul I think you have done a fantastic job in every attempt to try and cure this chagoi, not many would of attempted half of what you have done.
My only question is, if this has not worked as fully as you had hoped Duncan, would it be possible to cut a hole in the tail to cut it all out, or would regeneration of the tail not be possible.
By the look of the pictures from today it is doing really well but is there a lump returning in the smaller area, and if it is a new lump would the freeze treatment work.
I hope this has a happy outcome and look forward to the next update. Fantastic post,
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi Paul

That looks great im quite optimistic now i did not think dermo would withstand the onslaught of AgNO3 although a little extreme, no very extreme

but it looks good now can't wait for further updates

Kim, i told Paul at the time this was either going to work or go horrible wrong. By horrible wrong i mean the AgNO3 would eat too far in and ruin any chance of healing, i also said which answers your question the next move was a partial amputation of the fin. The fish could still live a useful life with only part of a tail fin it all depends on if the owner wanted that option otherwise it would be euthanasia.

but actually inadvertently you have raised a question that needs answering I would not normally cut a hole in the tail because I don’t think it would heal but if I cut a hole and in effect sealed/cauterised off completely all edges with AgNO3 or indeed my electric cauteriser maybe that would work thanks for the idea
anyway good work Paul this fish has some power to heal itself so the fish must take some credit too

well done

dunc

p/s im sure glad nobody from outside is here to steal this idea this gives me great satisfaction
Mattybkic
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Mattybkic »

Hi Duncan thanks for your input on the tail point.

Not sure as my problem was a bacterial one, but I would like to let you know my experience with a sever tail problem. Not sure whether I should have really started a new thread but think it's poinent to keep it from the afforementioned tail point.

The bacterial problem ended up splitting the tail right back to the base and I didn't have much hope. But after the CT rounds, Antibiotics and loads of rounds of macurochrome, propalis powder and lock and seal, heat and time it has totally healed? At the time the rays appeared to have gone in the centre too.

The reason I have added this on from here, is due to the sever rot, I thought if it survived it would have a 2 part tail which it doesn't now, could you please this explain?

Many thanks

Matthew
steve t
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by steve t »

Hi

I got the doitsu out this morning and took a closer look / inspection of the koi, the lump to the left hand side of the Dermocystidium looks very much like carp pox, so I did not attempt to remove this.
I scrapped out all I could and then put the wart treament onto the tail for 20 seconds, I then dabbed a bit of Myrocrome on the wound, then dried with A/powder then used lock & seal to seal it up.
Koi is swimming around in the pond, I will have another look next weekend to see if its any better. Do you think the other lump to the right of the dermo on the tail is Carp Pox ?? or should I have a go at treating this as well.

Steve
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (36.74 KiB) Viewed 28063 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (38.64 KiB) Viewed 28063 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (49.02 KiB) Viewed 28063 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (36.94 KiB) Viewed 28063 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (36.83 KiB) Viewed 28063 times
6.JPG
6.JPG (47.42 KiB) Viewed 28063 times
fishy hands
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by fishy hands »

steve t any update ??
steve t
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by steve t »

Hi

It certainly looks better from what I can, I have to take a photo of a koi tomorrow so I will catch this one and get some pics up tomorrow afternoon.

Steve
wilf
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by wilf »

What a fantastic thread, wart freeze another weapon against disease in our meds box . Exellent photography very imforative and great to see the main man doing what he does best . Hope all fish being treated are well, keep up the good work and keep those pics comming.
steve t
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by steve t »

Hi,

Caught up the koi today to have a look and see if any improvement and I think there is. So I cleaned and scraped all the muck from it again and used wart freeze for the second time, I then used merocrome on the dermocystidium, I will catch up the koi again in another 2-3 weeks we can then see if its done its job or not.

Steve
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (27.61 KiB) Viewed 28021 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (24.69 KiB) Viewed 28021 times
Paul24
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Paul24 »

Given all that's been going on lately, I haven't posted an update for a while. And given that the nonsense seems to go on and on I'm a bit reluctant to post this, as it seems so trivial given what what Duncan and his wife are going through. But I said on another thread that I would sort out an updated picture today. So attached is an image of the dermo site last Sunday.

Paul T.
Attachments
Dermo Site, Sunday 19th June 2011
Dermo Site, Sunday 19th June 2011
Dermo74.JPG (199.79 KiB) Viewed 28007 times
Paul24
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Paul24 »

All,

And I hope Duncan 'pops in' to see this...... :D

I bowled my Chagoi again this morning for a quick inspection. I really think that the dermo is looking beaten! Photos below.

Best Wishes to all,
Paul T.
Attachments
Dermo 16-07-11
Dermo 16-07-11
Dermo77.JPG (60.04 KiB) Viewed 27993 times
Large Site.
Large Site.
Dermo75.JPG (63.15 KiB) Viewed 27993 times
Small Site
Small Site
Dermo76.JPG (146.33 KiB) Viewed 27993 times
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Paul,

Great stuff mate and i am sure Dunc will be delighted when he See's the progress still a ways to go but looks like light at the end of the tunnel.
Mattybkic
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Mattybkic »

That's looking loads better Paul

Matthew
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi matey

thanks for that i concur that is a fix if ever i saw one

did not think it would survive the old AgNO3, thats looking great and soon you wont know my big fear was its would stain the area but it looks like thats not going to happen

very well done and thanks for sticking with it its has paid off

it will be sad that i wont be doing anything like this again making these kind of discoveries but at least i did have some kind of input worth something at least

dunc
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

Hey Duncan dont be like that :D . If any of my fish have interesting problems that need something beyond what you have already taught me you can come over and experiment on them to your hearts content, i know its not the same as doing it on your own test subjects but better than nought, we will not let you escape completely mate :lol: :lol: :lol: