Persistent costia. Is ICC the answer?

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Bluenose
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Persistent costia. Is ICC the answer?

Post by Bluenose »

Hi,

I seem to have had costia in my pond for as long as I can remember and can never really seem to get shut of it.

I have tried formaldehyde and malachite which never seems to touch it and also potassium which seems to reduce numbers but again, never seems to eradicate it completely.

I've heard good things about ICC and wondered if anyone could give me any feedback? Has it succeeded where other treatments have failed for you?

I gather that it works best when combined with salt but I would like to know what % salinity is required and also what the dose rate and frequency is of the ICC is.

For the record my pond on 11,000 gallons so this is going to cost a fair bit to dose (not to mention the value of the koi in there) so I want to make sure that it's done properly and safely.

Thanks.
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Persistent costia. Is ICC the answer?

Post by Manky Sanke »

This is Duncan's area of expertise but he is often too busy to look in here as often as he would like so I've just emailed him to pop in and answer your question.
Bluenose
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Bluenose »

Thank you!
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

yes ICC is the answer there are several ways but some of them not legal but i would start with ICC

sorry for the delay
Duncan