dead fish

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

dizzykoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

dead fish

Post by dizzykoi »

This morning after last looking at my fish wednesday I have gone to my pond to find 17 out of 21 fish dead no power to the pump house which I have sorted I have tested the water PH 8 ammonia 1 nitrate 1 nitrate 1 I have asked experienced koi men in our group the only answer I can get is we had smart meters fitted on thursday and he shut off the power but fired it back up one man thinks that possibly there was a power surge and the pump house shut down I am devistated and at a loss all 17 were rigored some floating and some on the bottom all without exception were covered in mucus the pond is a mess and I have drianed it to within 2ft off the bottom all, my good fish are dead all the big ones have gone but strangely the little ones 40cm and below are still alive??????? come on mankey /Duncan its a mind bender.
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: dead fish

Post by Manky Sanke »

No mind bender, Dizzy,

I would need to take some tests to be sure but, based on your description, it sounds like they suffocated when the aeration stopped. Large koi need more oxygen than small koi so the larger ones died first and that meant that the smaller ones could hang on with just the natural gas exchange at the surface.
dizzykoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by dizzykoi »

Thanks for that the bit I cannot get my head round is that the boiler was running on thursday afternoon which runs on the same power supply as the air and the only other issue was a power cut some time during friday night.would they die in 14hrs without air
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

They could certainly die of suffocation overnight or indeed even quicker.

Think about it in human terms, if a group of people were shut in a room with little or no ventilation, how long they could survive without suffocating would depend on the size of the room and how many people in it. With only a small number of people, they could survive for many hours or even days. In a very crowded room you wouldn't be surprised if they suffocated within hours.

The depletion of the dissolved oxygen in a koi pond, with only a small amount of aeration due to gas exchange at the surface as the only form of aeration, is similar to the depletion of oxygen in a crowded room with very little ventilation.