chagoi injured

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

chagoi injured

Post by carlejo »

Hi All... woke up to this, this morning
He/she was perfect yesterday, any ideas what it could be......to me it looks like some sort of overnight injury......he/she was fine yesterday.

I've tonight bowled the koi as I wanted to see what was going ......... the pics aren't brill TBH but the scales (to me) look a little lose, probably 3/4 of them.

What's the best treatment guys/gals.......pond is heated to 20 and has been for last couple of months..... better to leave alone or treat.

Also, I've a kohaku with a problem that started about a week ago....It had what I can only describe as a white waxy patch on it's head.......about the same diameter as a piece of k1....... this morning it's blown up like a polyp(sp?) or a blister ?........bowled the koi tonight and the "blister" had burst(it had burst before I caught it BTW) and it now seems to be healing, no pics of that one as theres nothing really to see........any ideas what it could/could've been ?

thanks people
ponderer
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Re: chagoi injured

Post by ponderer »

Don't leave it alone - it will get worse. If it is surface damage then I would say clean, and treat with antibacterial solution. Others are far more expert so wait for more replies.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

Carl

being honest you will probably or there is a good chance you will end up pulling these scales with that in mind at the moment you you may as well give it a few days see what happens and thye may improve if they dont you have lost nothing anyway

thats my advise for what its worth alwasy take the DNH route

dunc
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

Cheers Duncan. What's DNH?
If I do have to intervene what do I need and could you possibly pm me the price of gear. Thanks
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

What's your thoughts on the kohaku as well ?

Any ideas from what I've describd
Paul24
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Paul24 »

DNH - Do No Harm, I believe. Something I'm a big fan of, wherever possible. :)

Good luck with this, let us know how it goes.

Paul T.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Carl,

Same here mate leave for the mo and there is a very food chance looking at one of the scales it may be to far damaged so will have to come out and if/when you do treat when you rub your fingers over the top of the area i bet the scale just comes out.

Best way to treat will be make sure you have everything to hand ready to go before you start including bowls towels treatments tools the whole nine yards. Then sedate the fish and place on a baby changing mate or something nice and soft and if you can cover the eyes and depending on the fish i sometimes cover the tail as well (all to do with a showa but thats another story). Then you will need to have a good look at the area and see if the scales will come out just by rubbing around them and if they do look dead or decaying pull them out with tweezers. You can normally feel if they are dead/decaying as they will feel rough and have bits missing so they must come out as they will do more harm than good.

Once thats done you will need to clean the area well so some kind of cleaner is needed Rocal some will use HP and if this is the case you need to be very very careful as if it get on good stuff it can do damage so when using HP use it on a cotton bud and make sure its not running all over the fish as if you pout to much on the cotton bud it will run of and track through the scales so carefully does it with HP.

Once all cleaned up and dry you will then need a topical treatment i like Mercurochrome and work it all into the area making sure to get into all the pockets and area very well and let it dry and then a sealer over the top of that and for me that would be lock and seal plus let it dry and Bob's your uncle just in time to pop the fish back into the water to come around.

Most of the stuff you need will be on Duncan and good luck and let us know how it goes mate.
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

Duncan, or anyone please......... any ideas on what was the thing I mentioned on the kohaku, the polyp/csyt like think which has burst and no longer(fingers croseed) seems to be an issue ?
greg
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by greg »

Carl,

Then only thing i can think of is:-

Sunburn - unlikely

Chlorine Burn - Dunno

Is this like a thin membrane of skin lifting clear of the colour on the head? kind of opaque / almost like a callous (cannot think of anything better) lifting clear but leaving everything else intact underneath.
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

Your description is spot on Greg. I ruled out sunburn cos we hadn't had any sun recently and it couldn't be chlorine as I use a very large dechlor unit. Unless that particular koi was a bit more sensitive than the others??
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

update on the chagoi..... the injury seems much better IMHO, the scales apart from one seem to in the later stage of bruising. That's the only thing I can compare it really, bruising on human skin!!...I might bowl her after and take some pics, or best leave her for a few more days ?
opinions please
thanks
Carl
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

H Carle

bloody hell ive tried writing this three times to hit the wrong button and loose it :evil:

the chag i think has bumped itself leave ing it a lone right now may be of benefit in may pulls itself around and in any event you wont be much worse off

i have the same in my big momo shiro that must have jumped in the winter and hit the wooden covers but by the time i got to it this had developed soemwhat

the kohaku i think without any pix s sounds like Epitheliocystis this is an intracellular bacteria that invades as the name suggests the epithelial and whioe it does what it does it just blows the cell out

this is reported in many species of fish including carp

cheers
dunc
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

Cheers Duncan, is the kohaku thing anything to worry about, it seems fine now......is it something that will come back and something I'll 'have to live with' or can it be treated ?

The funny thing is I really don't know how he/she could have got the injury ?
There is nothing above the pond to cause injury........only thing It could have done was to jump out of pond and turn 180 in the air and land on edge of wall causing the injury ?......... very strange
greg
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by greg »

Carl,

I had this on a koi a few years ago and made the mistake of treating it topically with and Iodine based treatment - it solved the issue - BUT..... also removed the beni on the head. Now my thoughts are that rather than combat the issue directly on the koi. If it is bacterial such as Dunc is saying then maybe a dose of Chloramine T / Virasure / Virkon S might help???

Below is the damage i did to the koi i treated for this - Oops!

Before.

After.
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

Update on th chagoi, seems much, much better over last few days...... will bowl her tomorrow and take a few pics just to show the difference.......stupid koi, more worry than their worth!!