Spawning Koi

a Section for breeders and back yard breeders to post info, so we can all learn something about this fantastic Craft

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

niceshowa
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Spawning Koi

Post by niceshowa »

Hi There,
I am trying to spawn some koi in a seperate tank and they have had 1500d
days. Temp 21degres. Despite all my efforts have you any tips on how to get them going? Is there a magic fairy dust that turns them on? I
only want to breed them for my own use not to go into production!!!! Niceshowa
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Re: Spawning Koi

Post by Davej »

Hiya

Provided they are fit and healthy and of the right sex then the best thing to kick them off is a change in water parameters, big water change, ideally move those that you want to spawn to a separate tank.

But be careful, it can be brutal on the girls.

[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/Dave_222/64219_NVE00014.jpg[/img]

21C is the critical temp for mine.

BIG water change normally does the trick for me. BUT it is still pretty early. First spawning last year April 28th, when i moved a fish from the growing on, previous years June 21, July 28, August 13th.

How big / age are the girls and what size is the pond, presume they are heated and the temps are stable?

Are you intending to rear in tanks etc? if so have you got them set up etc got the Liquifry in stock and sourced the brine shrimp eggs etc..

Step1 is to have a tank that can be set up at a couple of hours notice into which you can transfer the brushes when the big day arrives.

Regards

Dave
niceshowa
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Re: Spawning Koi

Post by niceshowa »

Thanks for that very help full will give it a go. Regards Niceshowa :D :D :D