oxygen

a Section for breeders and back yard breeders to post info, so we can all learn something about this fantastic Craft

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

unknownuk
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

oxygen

Post by unknownuk »

hi can anyone tell me if they no where to get oxygen from for transporting the fish?thanks :)
madmole
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Re: oxygen

Post by madmole »

Any dive shop (but your have to buy the cylinder)
BOC (hire) , Lindt, Air Supplies

Or don't bother
Air is already 20.9% Oxygen, that's far more than the 0.0something fish need
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

A very simple way is to to to the local koi/fish dealer that has O2 and have them fill a (non leaking) dustbin liner with O2 for you. You then put the fish in the shipping bag, press all the air out and take a bit of hose pipe and put it in the mouth of the bin liner bag and the mouth of the shipping bag. Holding both bags closed around the hose pipe, have someone gently press the O2 out of the bin liner and into the shipping bag.

I've done this myself and it works great. You might have to give them a quid or two for the O2 but it is cheaper than renting a cylinder! More often than not they will not charge you a thing.

B.Scott
unknownuk
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by unknownuk »

ok thanks for the suggestions i will be sending fish quite freaquently i hope so i will proberbly just buy a cylinder.thanks for your help
madmole
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by madmole »

A small 3L pony cylinder from a dive shop will fill thousands of bags and last you years
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

Mole, Don't dive shops sell AIR and not oxygen? Breathing pure O2 while diving is an excellent way to kill yourself! Below 10 meters it is poisonious breathed pure. Unless the shop has rebreather equipment they shouldn't sell O2.

If I am not mistaken you cannot "BUY" O2 cylinders, just pay a deposit and then rent them. The remain the property of the filler. You must however buy the reduction valve (not cheap!).

B.Scott
madmole
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by madmole »

As I work in a dive shop occasionally and have now clocked up 3500 dives I can categorically tell you that most sell

Air
Oxygen
Helium
Nitrox (Air and Oxygen mix)
Heliox (Helium, O2 mix)
Trimix (Helium, Air and O2 mix)

I personally dive using Trimix and oxygen mixes. Air is for novices and PADI divers. Yes Pure O2 should only be used at 6m or above. but a modern rebreather dilutes the O2 to the current mix for the depth in realtime, diluting it with a low O2 trimix

You want a small bail out bottle, O2 clean and O2 filled. At 240 bar it will contain 720 litres of O2, enough to keep you alive for over 10 hours and will fill about 240 fish bags. It will be about £10 a fill. The cylinder will need a visual inspection after 2 years and a hydraulic test every 4 years (plus an O2 clean), but this is only important is you are getting it refilled. Just make sure you keep all oils and carbons away from the plumbing and open the valve slowly. Some dive shops will require you to show a relevant dive qualification, just explain what its for. there is no legal need for a qualification, or restrictions on the sale of O2 in the UK
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

Great info Mole, Thankyou!

B.Scott
unknownuk
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by unknownuk »

thanks thats helped me out alot.
Smart Koi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Smart Koi »

I get my O2 from BOC, they do many different sizes. I have a three foot pencil bottle which has lasted me just over two years. It was at around 240 bar when collected and is currently at about 70ish. As for filling 240 bags I would say only small bags. Mine has done around 100 of mixed size and will probably do another 40-50. It depends obviously on the size of fish / bag you are filling. If shipping overnight I aim for one third of the bag in water and two thirds O2.

When I got mine two years ago I think there was a £50 deposit on the bottle and they charge an annual rent as well. The O2 itself is very cheap.

BOC will also stock the regualator valve you need. And most importantly as madmole mentioned. keep oil and grease off your hands when using it as it will cause a flash explosion and burn you. Common amongst nurses so I have heard.

Cheers Dean.
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

Indeed Dean... keep in mind that "Oil and greese" include such things as skin lotion, vasiline, sun cream etc!
Andy H
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Andy H »

A small 3L pony cylinder from a dive shop will fill thousands of bags and last you years

I use a pony(3L) in my car so if I get a puncture in a dangerous spot I can pump my car tyre up in seconds and get to a safe place!

Although a pony cylinder only holds 696 litres at 232 bar, does plenty of punctures but not millions of bags!!!

Thought the testing was visual and hydro every 2.5 yrs/5yrs now???
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

So how much are these and can normal people buy them...not that i am saying i am normal :lol:
madmole
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by madmole »

about £70

There are no legal restriction on O2 ownership in the UK, though many dive shops will not sell gases to folks without appropriate diving Quals (but as anyone and their dog can issue them (PADI) thats not a major issue). I'm sure if you explain what you want it for they will oblige you

BOC, Linde and Air products will also all sell O2 to the public

You can also produce your own with salt water and a battery or by other chemical means
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

You can also produce your own with salt water and a battery or by other chemical means
Yes but if you would of seen us in Science i am sure you would soon see why i would like to keep the shed in the same position its in now :lol: :lol: