Having a go at breeding.

a Section for breeders and back yard breeders to post info, so we can all learn something about this fantastic Craft

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Dave T
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Having a go at breeding.

Post by Dave T »

Hi guys.

Next spring I have the intentions of spawning one of my large 7 year old female kohaku.I know its very forward planning but I would like to have everything running for a few weeks before I put the koi in to do the business, would much like to get an early spawn.

The female has never spawned as my main pond is unheated.But this year Im going to give it a go, purely for the challenge,experience and enjoyment of it as my koi are no show winners.
Listening to some post at times it differs. :lol:
The koi breeding DVD from koikit is on its way for xmas morning :wink: Ive read Duncans articles on breeding very good to say the least.

Ok heres my current QT set up. 800gals,4' bottom drain > 5500 pump> aquamax pressure filter.
it works ok as a QT set up but it may be insufficient for a breeding tank and rearing some fry.

I have the intentions of stripping the tank down and moving into the garage, fit a heater, and add a trickle tower packed with media off cuts.
so the new set up will be... 4' drain>5500pump>pressure filter>trickle tower. Also I will be setting up a resting tank for after the spawn.

I will be applying the 1000C heat theory in order to bring on a spawn.
The female to be moved from the main unheated main pond and the temperature slowly adjusted and brought to 22C. giving a total of 1000C
by the middle of May when the days are long.
If the female is reacting possitively to the temp manipulation the chosen males will be introduced to the female after being brought up to spawning tank temperature in the rest tank.
The QT/spawning tank lined with a mosquito net to prevent eggs or fry from being drawn in to the drain/pump.Once shes spawned move the adults to the rest tank for recovery.(segregating male / female) after a rest period lowering the temp and returning them to the main outdoor pond (unheated). will the segregation and being divided in the resting tank sharing the same water be a problem?

The female chosen for the spawn is 7 years old and 20' in lenght but has good volume to her.
Any info at all will be greatly appreciated as I dont want to trip over at such a delicate time.since the one tank will be used for both spwning and rearing will the proteins given off by the spawn be a problem. any suggestions.
I have started purchasing the relevant bits to put it all together and have so far been met by negative opinions
anyway...........less said ... :evil:

Should I change anything? what have you done, what have you found works well.

Thanks Dave
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

i can't answer any questions on the actual spawning side but i would suggest you look carefully at that 4" bottom drain as any fry you may produce would quickly vanish down it......

come on questers who know help is needed!!!!
Maurice
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark
Location: In a Polytunnel, Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset.

Post by Maurice »

Dave, you'll find the water will be rancid after your spawning in such a small volume (800 gallon). You will need to do around 100% water change in a fairly short space of time (I’d say 24 hours). This really does depend on the size of the spawning, a small number is not as bad as a larger number, a female in the size range of yours, if well built could give up to 100,000 eggs!
In the past, when I have tank spawned, I have changed out 50% of the water 3 times within the first 24hours.

My best advice to anyone trying their hand at tank rearing fry is to get rid of 99.9% of the fry right from day one. Otherwise it is all too easy for the water to go ‘tits up’ and lose the lot.

Make sure your net is really fine, you’d be surprised how fine a net, new born fry can swim through.

Good luck,
Maurice