need advice

a Section for breeders and back yard breeders to post info, so we can all learn something about this fantastic Craft

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

terry1
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

need advice

Post by terry1 »

hi how much would i be looking at to purchase some koi as i want some colour in the pond thank you
boogatee
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by boogatee »

anywhere from £20 - 20,000 :shock: .... depends on what you want. We were at cuttlebrook the other day and they had some great British bargins between £40-95.... for koi between 20-30cm...ish.

... and there are auctions taking place across the summer where you can pick up some nice fish ... greater risk, but worth looking into.
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi Terry
There are some very good koi at Cuttlebrook and if you don't mindthem being small they even stat from as little as £7 Have a look on their website and it will give you a good idea of what they have, and don't be put by their small size as they do tend to grow very quickly :shock: Good luck and I hope you find ome nice koi soon
terry1
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by terry1 »

its small koi i was looking at as i want to watch them grow is their any special things i have to do with my pond for keeping koi ?????
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi Terry
When I first started keeping koi it was by pure accident, my husband brought me home a a fish in a bag with the comment " i HAVE NEVER SEEN A BLUE FISH BEFORE SO i GOT IT FOR YOU" This fish turned out to be an Asagi and he grew perfectly well in a goldfish pond, by this I mean a hole dug in the ground with a liner, shelve's and lot's of plant's. After 2 year's I did have to extend the pond as he had outgrown it, then it went onto builld a koi pond. The first pond was pump fed with no air or heat but he grew from 4-5" to 20"+ in 2 year's, he also had some extra friend's being a platinun ogon and a yamabuki Ogon. I do have a theory on rearing young koi though, but I am no expert, if you can get them through their first winter in an unheated pond it make's them much stronger , but that is only my opinion. I wish you luck with your new venture, and I am sure you will get a lot better advice from the guy's on here.
terry1
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by terry1 »

thank you my pond is 7 meters by 5 meters by 4ft deep
fisherman
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by fisherman »

Hi Terry

You will have to post some Photos of you pond we all love to see photos of ponds
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Well that is no small pond then :oops: How is it filtered and do you add air or heat. Air is important so if you are not adding it and you are thinking about getting koi then extra air is a good idea.

The best bit about getting small koi is the pride you have when they start to grow and you look at them and say I helped do that :D