transporting eggs safely?

a Section for breeders and back yard breeders to post info, so we can all learn something about this fantastic Craft

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

estanque_koi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

transporting eggs safely?

Post by estanque_koi »

Is it possible to transport a large amount of eggs from a spawn safely?
Any experience on this?
Would it work if transported in bags with water+oxygen+zeolyte, inside of well insulated boxes? ... assuming water parmeters are similar in both tanks (source and destination)
Diego
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Diego,

Couple of years back I transported a spawning brush loaded with eggs. I used a large polystyrene Koi box with water in it, just put the brush in there folded double. Once home I put into a prepered pond, if I remember correctly I treated with Malachite green and the eggs all hatched out as per normal.
estanque_koi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by estanque_koi »

That is interesting Bob. Can you remember approximately how many hours were the eggs in the box?
One more question, you mentioned spawning brushes. I have read something about that, if I remember correctly belonging to some conifer species (maybe cedar, juniper...). What kind of plant species did your spawning brushes belong to?
Diego
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Hi Diego,

I would say the spawning brush and eggs were in the box for approx. 4-hours. It was a 3-hour car journey and there was time eaither side loading/unloading etc.

Species of brush, I'd guess at it's latin name as 'plasticus spikeyus' - purchased from ebay. 7 were put in with the Koi, I just took one brush away with me, leaving the other 6 with Duncan.
Attachments
Plastic spawning brush purchased via ebay
Plastic spawning brush purchased via ebay
Spawning brush.jpg (26.48 KiB) Viewed 3141 times
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

They have used conifer branches in the past but the normal method is to use soft plastic brushes as Bob shows a picture of in the post above.

B.Scott
estanque_koi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by estanque_koi »

This is the stuff I've been using, actually they are Christmas
decorations. :oops:
Inside there is a metallic wire, so far was safe but I think it is because this media is kept just a short time in the water. Well, last year I leave it for around 20 days in a pool with unintersting fry, they liked to forage on this ornament.
It can be sterilised and re-used.
However I was wondering whether there is any kind of plant whose branches could be used safely as spawning media and that can be easily found. I have read about Juniperus, but leaves are a bit bristly. I don't like using plants like Eichornia or Pistia.
Diego
Attachments
spawn 1.jpg
spawn 1.jpg (36.93 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
spawn 2.jpg
spawn 2.jpg (39.34 KiB) Viewed 3114 times