Assagi's

a Section for breeders and back yard breeders to post info, so we can all learn something about this fantastic Craft

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

chris1
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Assagi's

Post by chris1 »

What are the differences between Taki, Narumi and Konjo Assagi's? Has anyone got photo's of the different varieties of Assagi to illustrate the differences? Are any of the British breeders breeding Assagi's? I think Cuttlebrooke breed Sushui which I think are a variation from Assagi's.
Chris.
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

hi chris,,,,,,, lets see if we can help a bit

narumi....=coloured asagi of traditional blue dyed cloth
taki = waterfall
konjo = very dark indigo\purple blue colouration

cuttle brook do breed shusui but not asagi , the asagi is a scaled version of shusui .....hope that helps mate

info courtesy of kate mcgill :wink:
chris1
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by chris1 »

Thanks Gerry, so the difference is in the shade of the blue not the amount or position of the red. Is the shusui a variation bred from assagi's and if so do assagi's turn up in shusui spawnings sometimes?
Chris.
chris1
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by chris1 »

Thanks Gerry, so the difference is in the shade of the blue not the amount or position of the red. Is the shusui a variation bred from assagi's and if so do assagi's turn up in shusui spawnings sometimes?
Chris.
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

Try these links, not very clear but still should clarify things a little bit.

[url]http://australiankoiassoc.bizland.com/Appre ... koi2.chtml[/url]

[url]http://australiankoiassoc.bizland.com/Glossary2.chtml[/url]

I have seen a very good discussion on another broad on the different types of Asagi somewhere but can't remember where. Might be able to dig that up when I have more time. It had some nice photographs illustrating the difference not just words which leave you trying to imagine the differences.
kayoss
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kayoss »

Hi Chris

I'm no expert, but I've seen a couple of Shusui spawnings at Cuttlebrook and have never seen an Asagi in them.

But if you find somewhere who's got some nice little Asagi to grow on, please let me know! :wink: :D

Cheers

Bob
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

chris.....shusui where first thought to have been produced by crossing the original asagi coloured fish with standard mirror carp to achieve the doitsu fish (scaless )apart from the scales along the top ,the asagi is the original scaled version of the species ....several other versions of fish have been crossed as well in the past to achieve differing types i.e. gin sui, ai-goromo etc ...to my little knowledge i dont believe you can get an asagi from shusui spawnings....anybody help on this???
chris1
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by chris1 »

Thanks for the links and info. Am I right in thinking the asagi is one of the original varieties of koi, but seems to be one of the rarer varieties offered for sale. Is it harder to breed a good asagi as compared to a sanke or chagoi for example? Or is it that asagi's aren't as popular and don't sell so well? I personally rate asagi's as my favourite variety but good examples seem rare.
Chris.
chris1
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by chris1 »

Thanks for the links and info. Am I right in thinking the asagi is one of the original varieties of koi, but seems to be one of the rarer varieties offered for sale. Is it harder to breed a good asagi as compared to a sanke or chagoi for example? Or is it that asagi's aren't as popular and don't sell so well? I personally rate asagi's as my favourite variety but good examples seem rare.
Chris.
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

Chris,

From memory (I have a terrible memory!!) Asagi are one of the earliest varieties. I seems to remember even kohaku were originally bred from them (please shout if anyone knows otherwise).

As for Asagis in this country, I see very few at the dealers and I used to travel up and down country visiting koi dealers. Maybe they go so fast that I didn't see them. The only ones that I usually see are not very good quality tosais!

Malcolm Green at Koi Water Garden usually has some good Nisai Asagi in the Autumn Harvest. Maybe worth giving him a ring if you are interested in getting your hand on some good quality Asagi. If you have a local dealer that you use then I am sure he will be more than willing to get hold of some for you. I think Selective Koi in Norwich normally have some Asagi as he supplies a lot of the dealers.

Come to think of it as you are in Hornchurch, try Koi Logic. They have larger koi that are not on general display in the first shed which if you ask nicely they will show you. Apparently they are having a bit of a sale on right now as they are bringing in more koi from the Autumn harvest so this might be a good time to buy, assuming you have the facilities to take care of any purchases this time of the year. Generally speaking though I find the prices of Koi at Koi Logic a little bit higher than I would like them to be.

Anyway here is a picture of my Asagi originally supplied by Malcolm Green at KWG.

[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/dho/21819_Shi ... G_0789.JPG[/img]
chris1
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by chris1 »

I already have an asagi from koi logic. It's an 18" 3 year old male which I bought as a 5" tosai, unfortunately he has developed a shimie on his face and the pec's have been damaged by infection. I've been in that first shed at koi logic a couple of times and agree the prices are over the top.
Chris.
chris1
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by chris1 »

Here's mine.
Attachments
assagi 26-9-06 002.jpg
assagi 26-9-06 002.jpg (207.76 KiB) Viewed 8404 times
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

Not a bad fish at all considering you bought it as a small tosai.

Shimmies are curse of hard water! Shusui and Asagi tend to develop shimmies in our water (I am only about 10 miles away from you). Not to mention shimmies on Kohaku!
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

Unfortunately even in Japan you get very few large assagis without shimmies, probably why they are not more popular than they are as good examples are superb but you rarely see them

Stuart