Any Advise

a Section for breeders and back yard breeders to post info, so we can all learn something about this fantastic Craft

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Any Advise

Post by Thorny »

Hello all, I am fast approaching My third Year as Koi keeper. I plan to have My first spawn next Spring. I do not want a flock spawning, so I have decided to try to breed My Kin Showa Male to My Female Yamatonishikoi. At the moment they are 16 insh Nisai. I plan to heat My pond again this winter. In the hope a gain a little more size and volume. What I would like to know is, what should I be thinking about doing so I am ready when the time comes. Is there anything I should do with My female. Since I have had Her since a 5 inch Tosai She has never lived in water that has dropped below 16 degrees.
I am not expecting any Show stopping Fry but I would like to get something that I can put My name to without hideing My face. Both Koi were bred by Akoi.
Any Advise would be greatfuly received
Thanks
Justin
Cuttlebrook Koi
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Cuttlebrook Koi »

Hi Justin

Good food and good living conditions are what brood fish need and if you can provide that then you are off to a good start.

A Yamatonishiki is basically a metallic Sanke, so what you would be doing is crossing a Showa with a Sanke. If you want to achieve specific recognised varieties from your spawnings them maybe this isn't the best cross, but if what you are after is a lot of pretty fish, then go for it!

What method have you used to determine if your koi are male or female?

Lisa