What a Way To Earn a Living!

a Section for breeders and back yard breeders to post info, so we can all learn something about this fantastic Craft

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

sukoi50
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by sukoi50 »

I'll be out tonight so I wont make u wait...........................the total number of Shushi that were harvested was...................................................................wait for it.......................................75,000

I couldnt believe this but having seen some of them whilst they were being sorted I know its true!!

sue x
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

74,500 :wink:
Cuttlebrook Koi
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Cuttlebrook Koi »

No wonder it seemed to take forever to get through them all! :shock: We don't normally count how many fry are in a harvest, but it was just such a good harvest that we were curious to know how many there were.

We only kept 3500 to grow on because we want to encourage good growth rates in the ones we keep and keeping any more than that would be counter productive. It means that we have to be extremely selective.

Second cull should be even more interesting because we will only be keeping around 1000 then!

We harvested our second Sanke spawning today. We probably won't finish going through them all until Saturday as there are, once again, an unusually large amount of them, although not as many as the Shusui.

Here is a picture of some of the keepers from today. There is actually a rather nice Tancho Kohaku in there too. Lots of Tancho in a harvest is a sign of a good brood fish.

Lisa

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... g%2006.jpg[/img]
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi Lisa
All your babies look so healthy I don't know what you have in your mud ponds but it sure seems to be working :D
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

I think i have heard the "where only going to keep 1000" before somewhere :lol: :wink:

They are looking very good Lisa :D
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

75,000 that's a long cull.

Sanke are looking good though and you keep these seperate from the other Sanke? Dont want them mixed up with my ones - LOL
james west
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by james west »

hi there,

a quick question for lisa & mark.
(or anyone with the knowledge )

what is the correct pairing to achieve Ai-Goromo, is it female kohaku with male asagi or the other way about.........female Asagi and male kohaku ?

thanks,
James.
Cuttlebrook Koi
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Cuttlebrook Koi »

Hi Bob

These Sanke are in a separate pond and will be until the autumn. It's important to us to keep them separate for as long as possible so that we can see the difference in development between the offspring of one female and another. We still have several thousand Sanke fry to sort through so I know what I'll be doing most of tomorrow! We actually get through them quite quickly - the hold up is that lots of people keep wanting to come and buy koi, not that I'm complaining! :)

Hi James

I know you had a chat with Mark today so hopefully he has been able to give some useful advice. Say hi to your lovely family for me! :)

Lisa
kayoss
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kayoss »

Hi Lisa

Easy to tell those Sanke apart, just do a simple DNA test - Bob drooled all over the ones he selected :twisted: :lol:

Bob
james west
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by james west »

hi lisa

Yes thank you, Mark was very helpful. :D

family are all fine, kimi still talks about her friend Lisa and the trampoline was too hot....... :lol:

regards,
james.