ready steady.....oops too late

a Section for breeders and back yard breeders to post info, so we can all learn something about this fantastic Craft

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

james west
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

ready steady.....oops too late

Post by james west »

At the weekend I moved my ochiba girl and 3 boys to a 1200 gallon pool to ready them for spawning. It is the same water as the main pond and uses the same filter. the main pool is at 20 / 21 degrees, the idea being to raise the temp up to 24 degrees in the small pool for the week to rippen her up. i thought i would need to do a water change to trigger her but no, she beat me to it and spawned this morning with out any help or spawning ropes in the pool.

now to play the waiting game.
Attachments
ochiba.JPG
ochiba.JPG (15.01 KiB) Viewed 2800 times
james west
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by james west »

treated with malachit on first night after spawning, but there is alot of fungs about. however the fry are hatching out now.
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi James
Don't you just love it when they take over :D
Congratulation
s on a successful spawning please keep us updated as to how the fry are getting on. I wish luck and I hope you have got the show stopper.
james west
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by james west »

hi kim, thanks for your support.

With this spawning I used 3 males, as mentioned before. however they left a lot of milt in the water which smells real bad and has congealed into a stringy mess. I have been trying to trickle in fresh water, but I've been unable to remove it by hand as the new fry are caught up in it.
now they are free swimming the pool is cleaning up nicely but i have lots of dead flies floating that were attracted by the smell and then drowned.

I don't know quite what to expect from the fry as the males were 1off ochiba and 2 off kohaku. the fry are a mix of black, white and white with black, so plenty to look forward too.

james.