TIRED FEMALE

a Section for breeders and back yard breeders to post info, so we can all learn something about this fantastic Craft

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

james west
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

TIRED FEMALE

Post by james west »

I have had my breeding set together now for 2 days, the female is very swollen with eggs, however though the males have been trying to get her to spawn and she has been responding but not released any eggs. She is now very tired and is lying low resting up. The two males are now nudging each other due to the residual pheromones in the water.

My question is this, do I leave things as they are , separate and try again another day, or anaesthetize and strip by hand ?
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

James,
Did you use fresh water in the tank of water from the pond? Fresh water will often cause the fish to go into spawning mode.

B.Scott
james west
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by james west »

hi there scotty,

yes fresh water has been used. they went into spawning mode as soon as they were put together.

an update from luchtime is that she has released a few eggs. hooray. but the fish are quiet tired now and only having a half hearted effort.

If she were human I think she would have been induced by now to finish the job.

I can understand now why salmon keel over and die after spawning.
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

personally i would suggest the hand stripping. you don't want your prize koi to die through exhaustion. i would add to be gentle and with hand stripping you have all the eggs in one bowl so to speak :lol: :roll:
Maurice
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark
Location: In a Polytunnel, Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset.

Post by Maurice »

Jane, you are offering advice which could kill this koi!

You cannot strip a koi until the eggs are fully ripe and freely flowing from the koi and this is obviously not the case here. A koi ready for stripping is a koi who's eggs are just falling out, it takes no affort to remove them and if this koi has only laid a few and stopped they are not free flowing!

Partial release of eggs is a worrying thing, sometimes if the set are put together too late in the day this can happen, as the eggs are not fully ripened and things go to plan next morning. If they have been together for two days when this happened it is more worrying.

Lets hope things go well overnight and all is sorted by the morning.

Maurice.
Edit, I see things have come good and I'm pleased there were no other problems.
james west
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by james west »

thanks for the advice maurice, :wink:

however i suspect not many of the eggs will have been fertilized as on day one the water was milky/cloudy i assume from the milt but on day two when she was releasing the eggs the water was clear apart from the floating foam. I think my lads must have run out by then. :oops:

the next few days will tell for sure. :?
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi James
I am glad to hear that your female has released her egg's, and at the end of the day that is most important thing I should think. I had 2 female chagoi's who were chased non-stop for most of the year last year and even after a hormone injection the biggest of the 2 still did not release so it was a bit of a worry about during the winter but she has come through fine and a bit slimmer. I hope you get some fertile egg's, but the main thing is your female has done the buisiness so next year you might have more success. Please keep us posted as to how the egg's are doing.