Spawnings

a Section for breeders and back yard breeders to post info, so we can all learn something about this fantastic Craft

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Georgy
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Spawnings

Post by Georgy »

Has anyone had spawnings yet? I would be very intrested toi follow anyones progress!
niceshowa
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Re: Spawnings

Post by niceshowa »

I had a pair of females spawn naturally in the pond. More or less one after the other. Had me up from 4.30am and carried on all day untill about 5pm. I was knackered just watching them. Interestingly I have several other females that are fat with eggs, that have spawned in the passed but were chased once or twice but other than that did not take part excepted to eat the eggs. Water temp 18.8c at 4.30am. I have saved some eggs from the blanket weed and spawning ropes that I put in while they were spawning!!! They just carried on after 20mins they were using them. Females were a purachina and a goshiki, the males were a goshiki, kohaku, shiro utsuri. The fry are 600 plus, 3 dark, 10 white or very pale the rest are yellowly green colour and I am taking photos once a week. I would have thought I wold have more dark fry? They spawned Friday night 4 june. so early 2 weeks old. Niceshowa
dave
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by dave »

Hi,
I have 2 mirror carp amongst several low grade koi (yellows/whites) nothing fancy.
These were all at it early hours of the morning splashing and thrashing around.
This happened in late June.
I removed some of the weed with the eggs attached and I now have a tank full of little uns.
These are still very small, anything from 10mm to 25mm at the moment.
First time I've removed any eggs and not sure what to expect, but it's fascinating watching them progress.
Anyone know what these will turn out like?
I'm not expecting top grade fish but will they develop any colour or pattern?
Although they're all different sizes, they do all look the same at the moment.
The mirror carp and a white koi was laying eggs and being chased by the yellows and white koi and also the other mirror, so flock spawned.
I would love to put some pictures on but I can't work out how to do it!!
Dave
dave
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by dave »

Well a few weeks has past and the little uns are growing up.
I've kept about 150/200 of these.
They all seem healthy and are of a size that I can now tell what they are.
They all seem to be carp as they are all developing the little barbules around the mouth.
I have a mixture of fully scaled carp and very very lightly scaled mirrors, some are showing signs of silver/yellow/white.
I will probably be looking to thin these out if anyone's interested.
Anyone know how I put pictures on this board?
Dave
Georgy
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Georgy »

Either use something like photbucket (account needed) or imageshack (account optional)

Or use the upload attachment option in the reply field on the forum
Attachments
quest (Custom).jpg
quest (Custom).jpg (18.66 KiB) Viewed 4280 times