Culling, when and would you give them away instead?

a Section for breeders and back yard breeders to post info, so we can all learn something about this fantastic Craft

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Brek
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Culling, when and would you give them away instead?

Post by Brek »

Might sound a bit cheeky to ask, but as I am a koi fanatic on a seriously low budget, I would be willing to pay shipping on any fry from good stock about to be culled to stock my pond, it is heated over winter and is 6500L, one is to get cheap fish and two, to see how they turn out compared to how the breeder perceived they would, interesting experiment or faux pas to even ask?
Russ Little Pond
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Re: Culling, when and would you give them away instead?

Post by Russ Little Pond »

I`d like to know the answe to that one...
Brek
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Brek »

I reckon most of what we buy over here would be given away by the jap breeders, never mind the ones chosen to cull, that is, reading reading between the lines I reckon, all the best ones get put into ponds for however long required to produce the koi that will earn the big bucks, and the not so good get sold to us brits. :lol: Don't think I'll ever have the money to buy a good koi, but I shall look after the ones I can afford with the upmost care and enjoy them.
Kanundra
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Kanundra »

Well I culled a lot last year, and got rid of loads before winter. Wish I'd thought of giving them away. Will keep that in mind.

Had no spawning this year, although my shusi needs to drop, think I might need a hand in getting the eggs out if she stays as she is, don't think she'll make it other wise, she is just massive. :(

Well, you just never know. But I will defo think again before doing the nasty side to keeping some alive. From my spawning last time, we must have had around 5000 fry, we got it to 200 and now have around 50 left. Not easy. When you don't know what to pick out. :(

But we have some stunners now, they've just gotten over their first massive parasite attack, after sleeping sickness. Wouldn't want to go through that again, but least I know the downsides to breeding in this country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgwkUWBw ... ature=plcp

Dawn
Brek
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Brek »

funny to re read an earlier post, that was the year I got into koi keeping. Knew nowt as you can tell. Good job with the spawning, it looks like you got one good kohaku looking at that clip.
Kanundra
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Kanundra »

Yeah, pretty new to the breeding side of things myself. Tough... though.

:) thanks for the comment.