pipes from pumps

a Section for breeders and back yard breeders to post info, so we can all learn something about this fantastic Craft

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

fishy hands
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

pipes from pumps

Post by fishy hands »

my pond is pumped unfortunately .my fish go under and over the pipe work from the pumps. is there any way to weight them down ,as i saw one koi get stuck for a moment going under :? 1st post in the room any help much appreciated. thank you
Brek
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Re: pipes from pumps

Post by Brek »

Most ponds are now bottom drain designs which neatly circumvents your issue, As i am new to this hobby not sure you should really listen to me :lol: , I would guess the issue would be how much speed is involved in it swimming under the pipe and how stupid your koi are. I would think that most fish are adept at avoiding submerged objects or there would be a distinct shortage of fish in the sea/river. The only issue then being the speed of impact with pipe, before I got my pond built around bottom drain design I too had a pipe trailing out of pond, fretted every time they swam under it, I have to say after 6 months none were any the worse for wear.
fishboyfishy
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by fishboyfishy »

Could you not make a pipe from solvent weld that tucks neatly into the corner. then connect this to the pump either with a short length of hose or screw type fitting.
Casper Chapman
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Casper Chapman »

Yep, solvent weld is the answer.
You either kink it to run on the bottom, which can collect debris, or raise it so fish can swim under.